The Beauty in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Fr. Geoff offers confession everyday this week leading up to the resurrection of our Lord.
Fr. Geoff’s purple stole he wears while he hears confessions. “We hear the words spoken through the priest, which are really the words of Jesus,” Fr. Geoff said.

The Catholic Church requires that the faithful receive the sacrament of reconciliation at least once per year. This comes in the season of Lent. Over the past 40ish, days we have all been preparing for the coming of our Lord through his resurrection. This Sunday we are able to see the light that is Jesus as he comes back from the dead. 

This magnificent weekend is a story of darkness and light. Starting with darkness on Good Friday with the death of Jesus. “And darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon because of an eclipse of the sun.” Luke 23:44-45. Coming April 8th, we will see this again with an Eclipse, we will experience total darkness. This is the same total darkness that was brought upon the world the moment that Jesus died. 

This darkness can only be overcome through the true light of Jesus Christ. We all have this darkness in our souls as well, and this Holy Week it is important to help clear this darkness to prepare for the coming of Jesus at Easter. The only way to do this is through confession. In confession, the sins of our past are wiped away so that we may be made new just as Jesus was in his resurrection.

Similar to His resurrection, we come out from the confessional a new person. The confessional is similar to the tomb that Jesus was laid in. When Jesus rose from the dead, he came from the tomb shining with beams of light. When we arise from confession and exit that door, we too have been cleansed of darkness and our soul glows through us. 

Go and experience the light of Christ through the sacrament of confession this Holy Week. Email Fr. Geoff or Fr. Jomy if none of the allotted times work for you, they will always want to hear your confession.

“Reconciliation is the fullest expression of God’s mercy for the children that he has created.” Fr. Geoff Mooney said, “God always loves his children but we have to humble ourselves and acknowledge that we need His love, and confession is the Church’s way of affirming God’s love.”