Lent on the Hill

This last Wednesday marked the beginning of a new season of reflection in the Catholic Liturgical calendar.
“Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning (Joel 2:12-14).”

This past Ash Wednesday marked the start of the Lenten Season. Lent is one of the six seasons in the Liturgical calendar and lasts forty days.

Lent is a season of repentance and prayer that prepares us for the miracle of Jesus’ resurrection on Easter Sunday. Mr. Matt Cannaday, Religion teacher at Cathedral, said, “The point of Lent is to intentionally clear out material clutter, so that we might have a spiritual rejuvenation in light with Jesus’ death and resurrection.”

During Lent, one can be seen fasting, praying, and giving alms. By fasting, we are demonstrating our dedication to Jesus’ time spent in the desert. By abstaining from food, we can experience the hunger that Jesus experienced whilst avoiding temptation in the desert, which ultimately brings us closer to God.

Cannaday said, “Lent is a parallel to Jesus’ forty days in the desert, and the forty years in the desert for Israel.” Traditionally, fasting can be observed on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and every Friday during Lent. In fact, fasting can be seen in a full meal during the day of fasting, and then later in the day eating two snacks that are added together, are not the same size as that first full meal.

Additionally, during Lent, one can be seen giving up favorite things in order to further connect with Jesus and his sacrifice on both the cross and in the desert.  Another option in Lent is to commit to do something positive to further your relationship with God.

What did you give up for Lent?

Daniel Kent – “I’m giving up soda for Lent.”

Caroline Schilling – “I’m giving up Tiktok and soda.”

Katherine Moriarty – “I am giving up social media”

Luke Spencer – “I am giving up Tiktok and am only going to be drinking water for 40 days.”

Avery Stuckey – “I am giving up fast food.”

Julia Morrell – “I am giving up Tiktok.”

Madeline Sheddy – “I am giving up Starbucks.”

Leila James – “I am giving up Tiktok, candy, and all types of sodas.”

Mary Hughes – “I am giving up social media, dessert, and popcorn.”

What are you doing with your Lenten opportunity to be close to God?