Wrestling kicks off season

A new-look Irish wrestling squad began its season with the Super Six Tournament on Saturday
Senior+Jackson+Weingart+engages+his+opponent+during+the+Super+Six+Tournament+on+Dec.+2.+Weingart+finished+with+a+5-0+record+on+the+day+and+is+looking+to+reach+the+State+Championship+for+a+third+time.+
OhSnapIndy
Senior Jackson Weingart engages his opponent during the Super Six Tournament on Dec. 2. Weingart finished with a 5-0 record on the day and is looking to reach the State Championship for a third time.

This year’s wrestling team includes a lot of new faces. Going into the season there were many varsity spots that were up for grabs, and, due to some injuries, very few returning varsity wrestlers were available for the start of the season.

The team began its season on Dec. 2, hosting five premier programs from across the country for the Super Six Tournament. The event included Warren Central, Avon, Floyd Central, Greenfield Central and Ryle (KY).

The team came out with a 2-2 record, defeating Greenfield Central and Ryle but falling to Avon and Warren Central. It was an impressive performance against good competition, and the team earned a top ten ranking in the latest poll by IndianaMat for Class 4A, slotting in at number nine. 

Head Coach Mr. Sean McGinley acknowledged the team’s performance, attributing the losses to the team’s inexperience. McGinley said, “I thought we could have wrestled a little bit better. It just showed that we are a young team.” The team returns a few key wrestlers from last season, including senior Hose Smith (heavyweight) , senior Jackson Weingart (215), senior Oscar Kirch (190), senior Dillon Graham (144) and senior Gavin Bragg (126). Sophomore Kyle Harden, a returning varsity wrestler who made the State Championship last season, is injured. Kirch suffered an injury in the middle of the day on Saturday, keeping him from competing in some matches. 

Some younger wrestlers were impressive on Saturday, including sophomore Gino Duncan and junior John Bissmeyer wrestling at 106. Seniors Ben Obst and Finlay Russell also came away with wins in their first varsity action.

According to McGinley, the highlight performances were by Smith and Weingart, who finished their football season just three weeks ago. Both seniors went 5-0 on the day with convincing victories. These two are leaders on the team as seniors as well, according to McGinley. He said, “(Their leadership) helps in every aspect, whether it’s a dual-meet where they’re doing all the right things or during practice. They’ve been there, done that and they know what it takes.”

Weingart is a two-time State finalist and is aiming for a third, and possibly a State Championship. Weingart said, regarding his performance, “Saturday I felt really good to start off the season.”

The team’s next big match is versus Zionsvillle on Friday, Dec. 15. The team is looking to attract a big crowd, so mark your calendars!

View Comments (1)