Big Things Ahead for the Irish Basketball Team

Lacey Nix
Aidan Hughes makes a layup last year while on the road against the Warren Central Warriors. Last year Varsity defeated Warren 76-71 in double overtime.

The Irish Boys’ Basketball team has had tremendous success the past two seasons. The team won Cathedral’s first Class 4A state championship in 2021-2022 and the Sectional title in 2022-2023. These two seasons changed the trajectory of Irish basketball and laid the foundation for a successful season in the upcoming 2023-2024 season.

While several outstanding seniors from last year’s team graduated, the 2023-2024 team is looking forward to returning key players stepping up and leading the team to continued success.

Junior Aidan Hughes is one of the varsity players who will help lead the team this upcoming season. Hughes, who began his basketball career in CYO sports, is a two sport Varsity athlete who is also a standout on the football team. Aidan is excited to be following in his father’s footsteps who also played for the Irish Basketball team in the early 1990’s.

Hughes is confident the team has the ability to do great things this season. “I believe we are going to shock the state of Indiana this upcoming basketball season. As you know losing Booker, Davis, Tibbs, Sincere, and Kamari last year many people didn’t think we were going to be able to compete. We’ve got playmakers and all of us are eager to win.”

Hughes explained that the guys have worked hard since the end of last season to make sure they are ready to compete. “This summer we went 20-5 against the best competition in and out of the state. We have all waited our time, but our time is now.”

The team is confident that they will be successful this upcoming season, which began last week with a scrimmage against Pike. “I believe we can win state, so yes, my expectations are high, but I have been around these guys since freshman year and our chemistry is very strong.”

There is a great bond between the members of this team, which can propel them forward during the season. “I am very excited to just be with this team. It is very fun to play with all these guys and to be able to sacrifice for them. We know what we are capable of this season and we will back down to no one.”

The home opener is Wednesday, November 22nd against Warren Central. It is a girl-boy doubleheader. The girls tip off at 6pm and the boys follow right after.