Sports Updates and Wrap-Ups

Womens’ Basketball

The team finished the season with a 17-9 record and the Twin Lakes Invitational championship along with playing in both the City and Sectional finals. “We are very proud of this team and how much it grew throughout the year. We were really pretty inexperienced, but grew a little bit each day,” said Head Coach Mr. Ed Freije.

Junior Keya Patton lead the team in points per game with 22.5. Since Jan. 20, the team beat Tech and Lawrence Central in the Sectional tournament, but fell to the undefeated and Class 4A top-ranked North Central Panthers 56-41 in the Sectional final.

“Hopefully, the girls learned a lot and the younger girls got some valuable experience that will carry them into next year,” said Freije.

Patton, along with juniors Molly Beatty and Emily Howard and sophomores Maddy Lee and Kalyn Williams, will return next year to continue the tradition.

Mens’ Basketball

The boys’ basketball team defeated Manual 91-67 on Jan. 23 to secure its first City title since 2013. Under a brand new coaching staff this year headed by Mr. Jason Delaney, the team is currently 13-6 and preparing for the Sectional tournament set to begin on Feb. 28.

“We have three weeks to continue to improve,” said Delaney. “We can’t look at it as a whole, but rather take it one game at a time.

Looking to Feb. 28, Delaney says he wants to keep things as normal as possible. “Tournament time can bring nerves because of what is at stake,” said Delaney.

Junior Jarron Coleman, sophomore James Franklin and senior Tra Landers are leading the team in points per game.

Delaney says he is hoping for a successful tournament. “We have as much of a chance to win the Sectional as anyone else,” said Delaney.

The team heads to Roncalli tonight to take on the Rebels at 7:30.

Swimming

The girls’ swim team wrapped up its season Feb, 2 at the Sectional. While no girls advanced to the State meet, Head Coach Ms. Katie Doron is happy with the end results.

“I cannot ask for anymore than what we have done,” said Doron.

Looking to next year, the team will lose seniors Fiona Granados and Abbie Heinzmann, but Doron says she is confident in the underclassmen’s ability to continue the team’s success.

The girls’ season is over, but the boys begin their Sectional meet on Feb. 16.

“I expect a hyped up team who races hard, beats their times and everyone is happy and going crazy,” said Doron.

The boys have had an extended break from meets, which Doron says will help them to get focused and get their muscles ready.

The boys will travel to North Central next Thursday and Saturday for the Sectional meet.

Wrestling

Head Coach Mr. Sean McGinley and his team are 13-4 on the season and hope to continue their past success in this years tournament.

Out of the 14 wrestlers on the team, 11 of them qualified for Semistate tomorrow: Seniors Breyden Bailey (132), Alec Najem (170), Ben Stewart (195); juniors Andy Guhl (220), Zach Melloh (138), Jacob Obst (285); sophomores Jordan Slivka (126) and Lukasz Walendzak (120); and freshmen Logan Bailey (106) and Caleb Oliver (113).

“We need to keep working hard in practice to get better,” said Bailey. Last year’s team qualified nine wrestlers for the Semistate tournament, so with an extra two wrestlers this year, Bailey said the team is hopeful. “It really motivates us to hear people cheering in the crowd,” said Bailey. The boys begin their road to the State championship tomorrow morning at New Castle.