The Student News Site of Cathedral High School | Indianapolis, Indiana

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Men’s Lacrosse Opens Season

The team begins their quest for a State Championship against Westfield
Titus Slaughter
Senior Paul Sheddy looks on during a team practice. Sheddy is prepared for the upcoming season. He said, “We are ready to play our game and take the season one game at a time until we win the State Championship.”

This year’s boy’s lacrosse team is stacked with talent, and there are big expectations for the season. The team returns most of its starters from last season’s team, and, led by a strong group of upperclassmen, they are legitimate contenders for a State Championship in Class 2A. According to preseason rankings, the Irish were first in the state going into their first matchup, a game versus Westfield on March 14, which was postponed with the score being 2-2.

Last season ended on a disappointing note for the team, as they were defeated in the Semistate matchup by Carmel, 12-7. However, that team was extremely inexperienced, starting only two seniors. This year, there will be lots of varsity returners, and the team is poised to make a serious run at a State Championship. A win in State would bring the lacrosse program its first championship since 2019, and the school its first State Champion team since 2022.  

This year’s team is led by a core group of seniors with lots of experience. Two players, seniors Joey Konesco and Campbell Reid, are committed to play division-1 lacrosse next year. Konesco is the team’s top defenseman, and is committed to play at Quinnipiac University. Reid, an attackman, is committed to the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). Additionally, seniors Ian Bonacuse, Colin Ayers, Danny Hall, Robbie Rapp, Jack Bedich and Paul Sheddy will play significant roles this season, and all had varsity roles last season. Sheddy said, “We are returning a lot of talent this year, especially among our captains.”

Juniors Jake Mayer and Brian Panzer will return to big roles this year as well. Mayer is going into his third year as a starter on defense, while Panzer is set to return as goalkeeper. 

The team has had a strong start to the season and are currently sitting undefeated at 3-0-0. Their game with Westfield will be played tomorrow night at 6:30pm, picking up at the 2-2 score . Hall, a midfielder, said, “We just have to play our game and everything will be okay.” Westfield is 4-1-0 on the season with wins against Heritage Christian, Crown Point, Brebeuf and Park Tudor. Cathedral has defeated St. Louis University, Eastern, and Brentwood.

According to Sheddy, the team is prepared and eager for the season. He said, “Everyone on the team is excited. We’ve prepared for months and feel ready.”