Students find creative ways to serve their community

Administrator notes that requirements have not changed

For sophomore Ava Stevens, her community service includes her pony, Acorn, as both of whom recently visited Cooper Trace Nursing Home.

The service hours requirement has not been adjusted due to Covid-19, but how students earn those hours may be affected.

Christian service administrator Mrs. Shannon Fox ’80 said freshmen still are required to serve 15 hours, with 20 hours for sophomores, 25 for juniors and 25 for seniors. 

With the numbers not being altered, students are still required to obtain all their service hours. “Completed hours each year are a graduation requirement,” Fox said.

Even with precautions due to Covid-19, many organizations that were originally allowing volunteer opportunities are still allowing students to come.

Religion teacher Mrs. Cece Kasberg ‘83 has worked with Fox trying to make sure everyone is aware of any changes. The biggest challenge that students are having to face is interacting in a way that does not violate social distancing rules. “Service hours require people interacting,” said Kasberg.

Because of the risk of getting Covid-19 for individuals 65 years and older, those at lower risk are most helpful. “Younger volunteers are needed more than ever since most volunteers at age 65 or older  fall into the Covid high risk sector and are not able to volunteer, so agencies need the younger population,” Fox said.

But there are still organizations not accepting volunteers. Those most prominently are facilities with people who are at higher risk. “Senior living communities are not allowing any volunteers of any age currently,” Fox said.

Opportunities to allow students to receive more hours that include less one on one contact have taken place on the Hill. “Get hours for donating clothing to Saint Vincent De Paul. There is a drop off at Cathedral,” Kasberg said. 

With the situation clearly being different now than years in the past, staying caught up and reading emails and newsletters is most important. “It’s all about staying informed,” Fox said, encouraging students to check the updates that she sends along with Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel’s Friday afternoon emails to the student body. 

The challenges of the pandemic have caused students to be a little more creative in obtaining their hours. “We are so limited due to Covid. I think it encourages thinking outside of the box,” Kasberg said.

The primary purpose of service hours is to teach students about how they can contribute to society. Fox said, “Service is meant to build one’s character and to help young people realize that there is a community and world around them that they are responsible for.”