School will gather for Mass in the WAC

Dec. 8 is the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception

Students%2C+faculty+and+staff+participated+in+Mass+on+Nov.+1+in+the+Welch+Activity+Center.+

Jonas Hollis

Students, faculty and staff participated in Mass on Nov. 1 in the Welch Activity Center.

An all-school Mass will take place on Dec 8, a holy day of obligation. 

“It is the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception,” said religion teacher Mr. Matt Cannaday. The Mass will be held in the morning and the entire student body will gather in the gym. 

According to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic feast celebrating Mary’s conception without sin. Even though this feast day occurs in the liturgical season of Advent, which prepares for the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary in the womb of her mother, St. Anne.

When the students and staff gather for Mass there is always something they can get out of it. “A further appreciation of Mary and her role in our faith and salvation,” said Cannaday. “(Mass) joins our voices coming together in common prayer. It is a family giving thanks, and it is special because not every school can get together to go to Mass,” Cannaday said. 

Cannaday notes that you should join in the Mass. He said, “Participate, respond and sing. The more you participate the more you will get out of it.”