Religion teachers, 130 students to attend conference

Participants will learn more about their faith at NCYC

Religion+teacher+Mrs.+Meg+Ahnert+says+she+looks+forward+to+attending+the+National+Catholic+Youth+Conference.+

Caroline Schilling

Religion teacher Mrs. Meg Ahnert says she looks forward to attending the National Catholic Youth Conference.

The National Catholic Youth Conference is occurring in Indianapolis Nov. 18, Nov. 19 and Nov. 20 in various locations Downtown, and Cathedral High School will be well represented. 

Religion teacher Mrs. Meg Ahnert will attend on the first day of the event. She will be joined with all of her fellow religion teachers and around 130 students. She said she is bringing students from all three of her religion classes. She said she believes the conference is a great opportunity for students to strengthen their faith and relationships. 

This is her first year teaching on the Hill, but she has experience coaching the swim team as well as teaching at other schools. While she and the other teachers are gone, substitute teachers will take over. 

Sophomore Mary Hughes will attend the conference for all three days. She said she looks forward to the music opportunities and other faith-based events. She chose to go to the conference, and hopes to come out feeling “more connected with God and other people,” she said. 

Ahnert gives advice to those going to be present and willing  to learn and establish relationships. She said, “Be open — just like going on any retreat — be open to what the speakers have to say and open to hearing God. The speakers are going to be fantastic.”