NHS Ceremony

The National Honors Society (NHS) welcomes new inductees from the class of 2025, and gives an encouraging send off to 2024 graduates.

This past weekend, Cathedral’s National Honors Society inducted new members from the Class of 2025. The ceremony started off with an opening prayer from Father Jomy Mathew, then the attendees were welcomed by the principal, Mrs. Julie Barthel.

The ceremony acknowledged a few select seniors with various scholarships and awards. Those who received awards are as follows: Avery Stuckey, Nicholas Bearby, Sam Allee, Christena Lothery, and Sophia Lenceski. Those seniors received specific rewards for scholarships, service, character, and leadership.

At the ceremony there were 125 juniors being introduced and welcomed into NHS. There were around 100 seniors receiving their awards and accomplishments from NHS. The ceremony then closed with a blessing from Father Jomy Mathew.

National Honors Society is an organization that multiple high schools throughout the country participate in. Students participate in different service activities to earn National Honors points. The points that the students earn from doing service hours can be added to their college resumes. One service activity/hour can count as a half of a point.

Cathedral has been participating in NHS for over 40 years.  Mrs. Ford is one of the heads of the program for Cathedral, along with Mrs. Wissler. It’s an organization which not only has a strong academic focus but it also includes the Holy Cross Values that we practice and learn here at Cathedral. Mrs Ford said, “I think it is a brilliant idea, because it connects with the Holy Cross Core Values.”