The Student News Site of Cathedral High School | Indianapolis, Indiana

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Black History Month at Cathedral

Members of the Black Student Union celebrated Black History Month with many exciting events throughout February
Members of BSU getting ready to enter into the 6th Annual Black Leadership Summit on the 9th of February. A member of BSU, Bailey Brownlow, says, “I think that this month has gone really well for BSU and its been a lot of fun planning and attending a bunch of different events”. BSU has 3 more events planned for February including the Final Black in Hollywood Film Series movie - “Just Mercy” and “Bob Marley: One Love” movie on the 28th and the 2nd BSU BHM Lunch & Learn with a Black History Kahoot on the 29th. Photo by BSU Instagram.
Members of BSU getting ready to enter into the 6th Annual Black Leadership Summit on the 9th of February. A member of BSU, Bailey Brownlow, says, “I think that this month has gone really well for BSU and it’s been a lot of fun planning and attending a bunch of different events”. BSU has 3 more events planned for February including the Final Black in Hollywood Film Series movie – “Just Mercy” and “Bob Marley: One Love” movie on the 28th and the 2nd BSU BHM Lunch & Learn with a Black History Kahoot on the 29th. Photo by BSU Instagram.

Black History Month is a time to celebrate the achievements and contributions of African Americans throughout history. While most often hear about well-known figures like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman, there are many other pioneers whose stories are not as widely recognized.

Black Student Union wants to not only celebrate and honor Black History in February but also throughout the year. Administrator Jean Smith says, “Until we get to the point in our school & nation when the history, the struggle, the accomplishments, the contributions, the voices of Black Americans are part of our standard school curriculum and acknowledged holistically, we’ll continue to use February as a time to elevate and amplify Black experiences.”

Students who are a part of BSU at Cathedral have the opportunity to take part in many events throughout the year, especially in February. They collaborated to create “Black History is American History” shirts for the entire school to wear year-round on Fridays. They watched films like “Origin” by award-winning Black female filmmaker, Ava Duvernay. They watched Hollywood Films like “Selma”, “Finding Forrester”, “Roll Bounce”, and lastly  “Just Mercy” which will be shown on the 28th. 

BSU attended the Black Leadership Summit at Butler University with other youth leaders in Central Indiana. They also attended the National Black History Month program featuring Shannon Sharpe and will later collaborate with the Black Affinity clubs at Brebeuf, Park Tudor, and University to rent out a theater to see “Bob Marley: One Love” on the 28th. 

Smaller but just as meaningful parts of February at Cathedral included music composed by Black Artists played during the passing period and also many teachers with their doors decorated for BHM. BSU’s Instagram page also shares BHM moments/facts each day in their story, so if you are eager to learn more about Black History be sure to check that out.  They plan to end the month of February off with a Black History Kahoot during Lunch on the 29th and hope that many will participate. 

As many students know and remember from last year, BSU does a great job coordinating the all-school assembly, though this year Cathedral wasn’t able to have that opportunity. Jean Smith says, “While the officers are disappointed to not have the traditional all-school assembly where everyone is required to hear their presentation, they have put together lots of all-school events as well as field trips and celebrations specifically for BSU members throughout the month. They have worked tirelessly this month in particular.”