Tensions rise in final days before Golden Paddle Finals.

The Golden Paddle Championship will be played Friday during the Winterfest Assembly.

What’s the best way to celebrate Cathedral’s identity as a Catholic school? No, it’s not a fantastic dance put on by the seniors. Nor is it a beautiful battle amongst the classes as they pretend to sing famous songs. The very best celebration is a highly contested event where the two most talented, athletic, and handsome(maybe) students in the school compete for the prized Golden Paddle trophy.

The tournament that is now known as the Golden Paddle started back in 2002 by Mr. Anthony Ernst. “The SLC used to be a lot more lively after school.” Ernst recalled “the first one was very informal, just took a piece of paper and created a bracket.”

The tournament got its name in 2009 after Ernst and his partner in crime Dr. Tom Greer decided to make it official. In addition, the decision was made to have the finalists play their match at the Winterfest Assembly.

So, why is all this information so important? Tomorrow marks the culmination of the 2024 Golden Paddle tournament with the final match between Senior Emmett Hern and Junior John Bissmeyer. The two are making their first appearance in the finals of Golden Paddle, all thanks to a nail-biting semi-final bout from Bissmeyer and Sophomore Brayden Mann.

Hern had no easy route either. He defeated Senior Billy Neale in the Senior bracket semi-finals, who won his first two matches by means of skunk (mercy rule). In addition, he took down Senior Jackson Reeves in a tight match. “He (Bissmeyer) better watch out for my forehand,” Hern said “but then again… my backhand is just as dangerous.”

Tensions are high as the championship fast approaches and students witness the most contested 10 minutes of the year. Rumor has it that the winner competes against Father Jomy for the ultimate prize and bragging rights.