Boy’s Soccer Caps Off Historic Season

The Irish fell to Noblesville in the State Championship, but it was a season to remember
Titus Slaughter
The men’s soccer team poses with the Semistate trophy after its victory over Columbus North on Oct. 21. The win clinched the team’s first ever 3A State Championship appearance. Senior and team captain Liam Fahey said, regarding the win, “Getting the win (over Columbus North) was one of if not the most satisfying win of the season.”

Unlucky. That’s the one word that many would use to describe the men’s soccer team’s performance in its first 3A State Championship game on Oct. 28. 

The team faced off against the two-time defending State Champion Noblesville Millers, who came into the game undefeated with a record of 17-0-5. The Irish, coming off of a 2-1 victory over Columbus North in Semistate, entered the game 17-4-2 with a City Championship win under their belts, looking to conclude what was already one of the greatest seasons in program history. 

This year’s team will likely be remembered as one of the strongest this school has seen, as there was talent and experience all over the field. Seniors and captains Belachew Neal, Emmett Hern and Liam Fahey led the team, and were helped by a host of fellow seniors.

A step in history for Cathedral Soccer

— Liam Fahey

Adrian Reveles, Ben Holmes and Landon Korous were all key contributors to the team’s success this year, and all had returning varsity experience. Senior Fynn Lahrsen joined the team this year, having moved to Cathedral from Germany in 2022, and made an immediate offensive impact, as did senior Ian Jackson in his first year playing IHSAA soccer. Jackson had previously played solely for his club team. 

These seniors were a special group, and, according to senior Emmett Hern, the bond that they shared was part of what made the team so successful. Hern said, “We created a team that was more than just a soccer team. We created a team that turned into a band of brothers who always had each other’s back, and led the underclassmen to believe and do the same for each other.” He added, “I’m very proud of what each senior did for the team.” 

The team had some key underclassmen contributors as well from junior goaltender Jett Wallmeier, juniors Cal Kurzawa and Gavin Bateman, sophomores Quinn Bateman and Jordan Wedges as well as freshman Michael Bonaccorsi. 

The team pulled off a string of impressive wins to begin its playoff run, most notably defeating Carmel 2-1 and Columbus North by the same score in the Regional and Semistate Championship games respectively. The win over Columbus North was especially significant, as it was a rematch of last year’s Semistate game, which the Irish lost.

Senior Liam Fahey said, “We knew from the beginning of the season we were gonna be in that situation, and to pull through with winning results could not feel more relieving.” The team entered the State Championship having won nine straight games. 

While the Millers had many players who had experienced playing in the State Championship before, it was a new experience for the Irish players. The team had only reached the State Championship game once in program history (in 2010) and had never reached it in class 3A. Fahey called the team’s appearance in the game, “a step in history for Cathedral soccer”, and stated that reaching the State Championship “meant everything to (the team).” This year’s State Championship was played at Carroll Stadium at IU Indianapolis (formerly IUPUI). 

The game began on a rough note, with Wallmeier injuring his ankle shortly after the opening kickoff and leaving the field. The Millers quickly responded to Wallmeier’s absence by sneaking a goal past sophomore Blake Sales. Wallmeier entered back into the game shortly after. 

Despite trailing early, the Irish controlled the ball for much of the first half and had multiple scoring opportunities. Kurzawa took multiple shots on goal that just missed or were stopped by Noblesville’s goaltender. Towards the end of the first half, Noblesville scored yet again as a Millers player headed the ball past Wallmeier’s attempt to catch. 

After the half, Noblesville went on the defensive, swarming to the ball and fighting to hold their lead. The final score of the game was 2-0, but the Irish played the Millers much closer, especially in the first half. 

Though the program will graduate many key seniors, there will be some returning experience next season. Kurzawa, the team’s leading goal scorer, will return along with Wallmeier in goal. Both Bateman brothers will solidify the middle of the field along with Bonaccorsi, Wedges, and junior Ronan Delaney.

View Comments (1)