The Student News Site of Cathedral High School | Indianapolis, Indiana

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Time’s Up!

What is happening with the Cathedral clocks?
The clock outside the chapel reads 25 minutes faster than the official Apple time. To put this in perspective, that is 1,500 seconds ahead.

If you’ve walked the halls of Cathedral recently, you have probably been confused about where the sun is in relation to the earth based on the inconsistency of the school clocks. Because of this, students have been theorizing about why this has gone on for so long, which includes, ‘Teachers have kept it that way to get kids with more tardies’ and of course ‘Tech mumbo jumbo.’ But none of these answers the question, why do students need to use their phones to check the time?

As a journalist I knew this is not an issue that can be passed up, and so I searched for the root of this cause. After walking the halls it was clear that some clocks are more off than others. Some of the worst are in the administration hallway, where people have freaked out with the nearly 25 minute difference.

In addition, most of the math and science hall clocks are off. Senior Quinn Gianoli let me know his daily struggles with the issue saying, “I’ve been so sad to notice that math class is almost over, and so I start packing up… only to get yelled at because there’s like still 40 minutes left in class.”

This doesn’t even mention the clock in the Media Center which always reads 12:00. Some students have made suggestions on how to fix these problems. Those include sundials, switching to analog clocks, using military time, and most obviously GET A WATCH!!!

After this search, no true evidence was found. I had one more option… ask someone. This turned out to be the right call for finding out the true problem. Please read a special message from Mr. Jim Wilkinson, Cathedral’s Technology Director.

At Cathedral, our clock system has worked well for several decades, but like any aging technology, things stop working from time to time. Over the past few years, we’ve made substantial improvements, including implementing internet time synchronization and networked clocks. However, one essential component that’s been faithfully sending time signals to our ‘older’ clocks for over 30 years has decided that it will no longer work. The vendor we are working with has sourced the replacement component and should have it soon.”

So once again, a bunch of tech mumbo jumbo.

View Comments (1)