City Champs…Again

Once again, the women’s soccer team was victorious in the City Championship over Bishop Chatard
The team celebrates a goal by Senior Eliza Langfeldt during a game against Guerin Catholic on Sat. 18. The team won the game 3-0.

In what has become somewhat of a theme over my time covering sports at Cathedral, the women’s soccer team has won yet another City Championship. The team’s 3-0 victory over Bishop Chatard on Wednesday night marks the third time in four years that they have hoisted the City Championship trophy. This year’s senior class contributed to the 2020 and 2021 City Championship wins, and, after finishing runner up to Chatard last season, they are back to being the top team in Indianapolis. 

Winning the City Championship is an important and special milestone for the team, as it gives them a massive confidence boost heading into the State Tournament, where they will have a legit chance of winning a State Title. This year’s senior class was a part of the State runner-up team in 2020, when they were freshmen. They hope to finally get over the hump and win the program’s fourth State Championship. 

A State Championship is not out of the question for this year’s team, which includes an unusually strong group of seniors with a lot of varsity experience, as well as some underclassmen who have stepped up in big ways this season. The team is led by two division-1 commits in seniors Catherine Cline (Loyola Chicago) and Amya Usher (Toledo), who have made a great impact so far this year. Cline leads the team in assists while Usher is third in goals scored. Both are leaders with lots of varsity experience, as are fellow seniors Mary Hughes, Karstyn Ward, Libby Lewis, Eliza Langfeldt and Katherine McCauley. Hughes said, regarding the seniors’ experience, “All of our four year varsity players have experienced that State Championship run our freshman year, so we can help the younger players who don’t have that experience.” 

Though the seniors have done a great job leading the team so far this year, they have received some help from the younger players. Junior Abby Beasley leads the team in goals scored, and fellow juniors Kiera Bradford and Addy Wong have stepped up as well. Junior Anna Wasiak has taken over for Kate Phillips, who is now at the University of Missouri, in goal. 

The team has a record of 10-4-2 so far this season, with their only losses coming to Brebeuf Jesuit, Carmel, Noblesville and Rocky River (OH). A close 3-1 loss to defending state champion Noblesville and a 1-0 loss to Carmel at the beginning of the year give the team hope to flip the script in the State Tournament. 

The girls will play their first sectional game against Southport at 7:30 p.m. on October 3, and they are confident going in. Hughes said, “We’re winning state, and that’s all I have to say.”