Keep Your Eyes on the Fries!

The tragic demise of Cathedral students’ favorite lunchtime special.
Junior Deric Cannady’s freshly unseasoned French fries. Good crisp, poor flavor. A perfect example of lunchroom inconsistency.

There’s no doubt that the Irish have an incredible love for potatoes. Since 1621 when Nathaniel Butler, Governor of Bermuda, sent over crates of potatoes the Americans have been fascinated with this delicious vegetable, too. In addition, the great Bubba Blue once said, “Shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes…” and on and on. Now, replace the word shrimp with potatoes, and it’s just as delicious! No matter how you cook them it’s hard to mess up! Or so we thought…

The legend of fries has been passed down in Cathedral tradition for years, and according to James Dolph, head chef of the cafeteria, “Cathedral students go through between 210 and 240 pounds of fries per day.” Chef Dolph also commented on the recent change in style saying, “We are focusing on more healthy and creative options this year.” This could be an explanation for why the fries don’t seem as good as they used to be; however, is it worth it?

Sadly the quality of fries has reached a low in these past couple of years, and it is clear that Cathedral students are not pleased with this. “I think fries are the reason I came to Cathedral.” Senior Jack Schneider said, “Now you don’t know if you’ll get a fat wedge, a toothpick, or a grease sponge. It’s rare you come across freshman year quality fries.”

It is a tragedy that the underclassmen have never experienced the true french fries of Cathedral. The senior class is the only class left on the hill who has tasted the deliciousness of the perfectly seasoned, crispy sticks of joy, and without them they will be forgotten. No matter what changes the Cathedral catering goes through, the legend of freshman year  potatoes must not perish.

As a school called the Irish, it is imperative to have high quality potatoes that are pleasing to the eyes and the taste buds. Even Roncalli has “Great” fries, according to Elise R. senior at Roncalli.  If this cannot be accomplished, what kind of school are we? It’s time that the lunchroom returned to its former glory… #revivethefries