Mario Kart Fun(draiser)

Junior, Scott George, plans a fundraiser in order to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital

St. Andre Bessette, the inspiration for Andre Projects on the Hill

Cathedral High School’s administration implemented a new form of service for the junior class this year. They refer to it as their “Andre Project,” for St. Andre Bessette, the saint who showed unwavering devotion to St. Joseph and the Congregation of Holy Cross. He is meant to guide students to impact the community through their own passions. 

One of these juniors who is impacting the community through his Andre Project is Scott George. George is throwing a Mario Kart fundraiser to raise funds for St. Jude’s Research Children’s Hospital. George found inspiration for his project through one of his previous fundraisers, which he held when he was in eighth grade. 

George said, “I did a similar project in eighth grade, where we had a global issues project, and my topic was discussing the endangerment of pandas. And I did a similar fundraiser for them, and it went well.”

Cathedral religion teacher, Mr Cole Hepp, said, “With so many great projects going on, I actually just heard about Scott’s project plan recently. What a great way to bring the community together, play a game that people love, and help the mission of St. Jude Children’s Hospital. A project like this embodies the spirit of St. Andre Bessette really well because it truly combines one of Scott’s, and many others, passions while filling a need in the community.

This project will take place in Mrs. Marybeth Morris’s classroom (room #3305) on Friday, April 14th. The event is planned to start right after school at 3:15, and to end around 5:00. When students arrive, they will need to donate a minimum of 5 dollars to St. Jude’s in order to participate in playing Mario Kart. During the event, students will have the opportunity to have a good time playing with their classmates. 

“Obviously you get bragging rights, and that’s good encouragement. If you know anybody, bring your friends,” said George.