National Honor Society’s long standing on the Hill

Juniors are able to start applying for the National Honor Society this February

The National Honor Society has been a long-standing tradition at Cathedral.

“…I think Cathedral has always had a Honor Society, even when it was all boys,” said Mrs. Lisa Ford, Mathematics teacher.

The National Honor Society is co-moderated by Mrs. Elizabeth Wissler and Mrs. Ford. In addition, it is a student run organization. The National Honor Society, or NHS, is a national organization that highlights students’ leadership, service, and character.

Every student with a 3.6 cumulative GPA is considered as a NHS candidate. However, even if a student has a 3.6 cumulative GPA, they may not become a candidate due to their discipline record.

“If you’ve got cheating, stealing, violations of the alcohol and drug policy, probably not good for you. If you have one detention or one infraction that isn’t going to keep you out of the Honor Society,” said Mrs. Ford.

Juniors are notified that they are eligible to retrieve their NHS application through an email sent by Mrs. Ford. The students will then have to complete their portfolio and submit it to either Mrs. Ford or Mrs. Wissler by Friday, February 17. Their portfolio includes their application for admission, their service experiences, one personal essay, and one letter of recommendation attesting to your character.

Once in the NHS, the members will have a point system that is based on their service. They have to obtain ten points from April 2023 to April 2024. They can obtain these points by donating at blood drives, helping at Shamrauction, and assisting with any other needed service at Cathedral.

“We do any kind of service that the school needs us to do,” said Mrs. Ford. If students in NHS fail to obtain their points then they will no longer be a member in the Honor Society. This means that they will not get their honor cords at graduation.

“You stay in by doing the service. Getting accepted is just the beginning,” said Mrs. Ford.