Commencement and Baccalaureate plans finalized

Senior Class officers put final touches on traditional events

Last+year%2C+Commencement+ceremonies+took+place+at+Brunette+Park.+The+same+venue+will+be+used+this+year+for+the+Class+of+2022.+

Cathedran file photo

Last year, Commencement ceremonies took place at Brunette Park. The same venue will be used this year for the Class of 2022.

Over the past four years, the Senior Class has experienced a tumultuous high school career full of twists and turns, which have impacted them in their formative years. But on May 20 and May 22, the class will celebrate their years on the Hill with the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement ceremony. 

The Baccalaureate Mass will take place in the Welch Activity Center, while the graduation ceremony will take place at Brunette Park. Senior Class co-moderator Mrs. Katie Lewis said, “This will be our third year at Brunette Park, and (we’re) a lot further (in planning) than last year because now we’re getting into the routine of things. So it’s going a lot smoother than last year.” 

Lewis noted that the move from the Murat Theatre at the Old National Centre to Brunette Park was originally for Covid-19 reasons, but the athletic facility seemed to work well and provide a good venue, too. 

The Mass will begin at 6:30 p.m., and Lewis expects it to run until 8. Each member of the Class of 2022 can invite up to four guests to attend the Mass.

“The class officers are the ones who help form and shape the Baccalaureate Mass,” Lewis said. One of those class officers is class president Reese Sanders. She wrote via email, “Our class officers will be doing some readings for the Mass that we have personally chosen based off of characteristics we believe our class (embodies).” 

Lewis also added that the class officers are in the process of choosing a theme for the Mass. Other than a few other aspects, Lewis said, “It’s (a) very typical Mass.”

Lewis pass along some advice for seniors. She said, “Once you get your caps and gowns, feel free to utilize our beautiful campus and come here on a weekend and take photos — Baccalaureate day gets a little crazy and hectic.” The class will receive their caps and gowns on April 28 at the senior Mass.

Seniors have many different and sometimes conflicting emotions surrounding their departure from the Hill. “I am feeling super excited. The year has flown by so fast. It’s almost a little overwhelming as we try and finish out the year. There are so many different emotions that come with this accomplishment,” Sanders wrote. 

These emotions will culminate in the Commencement ceremony, which will begin at 1 p.m. on May 22 and it should last about 90 minutes. However, if inclement weather arises, it will be moved to the Welch Activity Center, taking place on May 23 at 6 p.m.

A senior is allotted six tickets to the ceremony, but they can apply for more if they need it or obtain tickets from fellow classmates. Each family is also given two parking passes; other students, along with educators and some police officers, will help facilitate parking.

The ceremony will be on the baseball field. Lewis said, “The families are sitting in the stands on the field, the teachers are in between first and second base and second and third base and the students are in the outfield.” 

Regarding the details of the ceremony, Lewis said, “(We begin with a) prayer, there’s some speeches by (a student who is selected in the top 5% of the class) and then there’s an educator speaker.” This year, the Senior Class has selected French teacher Mr. Gary Spurgin as their Commencement speaker. Following Spurgin’s speech, Lewis said, “A visitor from the Archdiocese comes to congratulate the seniors, and then lastly, (the) reading of the names and the tassels are turned.”

Sanders wrote, “I am looking forward to getting my diploma and putting on that long-awaited graduation cap and gown.” She continued by saying that she hopes to get a “time of reflection on this accomplishment and feeling of togetherness with my class.”

Lewis feels similarly. She said, “I hope the class gets a sense of closure, and I hope it unifies them.” 

When the tassels have been turned and caps have been tossed in the air, Sanders will, as she wrote, “Miss the students and educators that have made a huge impact. I will miss the comfort and calmness that I receive when I’m in class, practice and wherever I am on campus.”