Speech and debate team takes part in State meet

Freshmen make a significant contribution, according to coach

Freshman+Sam+Snyder+participates+in+the+State+speech+and+debate+meet+on+Jan.+31+in+Loretto+Hall.+

Photo submitted

Freshman Sam Snyder participates in the State speech and debate meet on Jan. 31 in Loretto Hall.

The speech and debate team participated in the State meet on Jan. 31, and the team’s coach noted outstanding results for several members.

Speech and debate Coach Mrs. Jeanne Malone wrote in an email, “Our World School teams did not advance from the prelims, which was disappointing. However, the two teams each had four members. Of the eight students, five were freshmen and they made a significant contribution.”

Malone said she is proud of the team’s adaptations of due to both virtual meets and Covid. She also wrote, “Our team has been doing extremely well considered many upperclass students chose not to compete virtually. Our team has 32 students, of (whom) 18 are rookies. Over 50% of our team are freshmen.”

Their season started with a meet on Nov. 7 and will conclude on March 13. The team has participated in seven meets so far. To prepare for these meets, they have had both in person and virtual practices. 

Malone also wrote, “We have sent students to the national finals for the last nine years, so we are working on making it to 10. Covid has drastically affected our team. Less than half our varsity returned to compete this this year because we now compete remotely. Upperclass students miss the camaraderie of in person competition, the awards assemblies, and competing for a live audience.”

Malone concluded, “We have traded cold bus rides for competing online.”