Wrestlers head to Finals, seek State title

Coach McGinley sends 10 to Bankers Life

The five Irish wrestlers who won Semistate titles pose at New Castle on Feb. 10.

In the long and storied history of Cathedral wrestling, a history that includes a State team championship in 2014, never have 10 Irish wrestlers qualified for the State Finals. Until now.

After stellar performances in the Semistate at New Castle on Feb. 10, Head Coach Mr. Sean McGinley ’88 finds himself in a position of having lots of wresters to coach on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. “We’re bringing the most to the tournament. If we have a real good Friday night, we will be in the thick of things come Saturday morning. Bringing along a lot of guys with potential to score high is exciting,” McGinley said.

Senior Andy Guhl was on what his coach called “the short end” of the draw in the Semistate, facing off with Mason Parris of Lawrenceburg. Parris is a two-time State champion and ranked Number 1 in the nation, winning every match since his sophomore year. “Last year, we took advantage of (Guhl’s) draw. Nothing can take away from his outstanding career and senior year,” McGinley said.

The coach noted that the Irish are in the running for the State team title, with Brownsburg, Chesterton, Columbus East and Portage also in the mix.

The Irish State finalists include sophomore Logan Bailey (106), sophomore Caleb Oliver (113), junior Lukasz Walendzak (120), freshman Andrew Wilson (126), junior Alex Mosconi (132), senior Zach Melloh (138), junior Jordan Slivka (145), sophomore Elliott Rodgers (152), senior Tony Mosconi (160) and senior Jacob Obst (285).