Face Off Friday: A Prom-ise to stay?

Caroline Drew ’24 and Camila Jackson ’26 face off on prom…is it reasonable to ask students to stay the entire time and not be allowed to leave?

Caroline Drew – Come and Go

Prom, the talk of the town for at least three weeks leading up to it. What color are you wearing? Who are you going with? What are you doing for your hair? The lead up to prom is sometimes more anticipated than the actual dance, but it shouldn’t be that way. 

The topic on whether or not students should have to stay until 10 O’clock has been highly talked about amongst students. Students can get to the venue no later than 8:30 and cannot leave the venue until 10 O’clock. Is it unfair that students are forced to stay for a certain amount of time? 

Prom is so much fun for everyone involved. But I think that forcing students to stay for a certain amount of time makes them even more eager to leave. If restrictions were not put on timing I think students would actually end up wanting to stay more. 

When a group of students are preparing for the clock to strike 10 to bolt out and leave the venue it makes the other kids who were having fun feel inclined to leave also. If students had the opportunity to go when they please it would not be a rush of students all leaving at once. Kids would trickle out when they are ready to head home and leave an opportunity for the kids who want to stay to not feel pressured by the ginormous crowd that just left the dance floor empty. 

Lastly, Prom gives students a chance to dress up to the nines and enjoy a fun night surrounded by their classmates. Allowing students to stay however long they want encourages them to enjoy whatever amount of time they want to and also encourages them to want to stay longer.

Camila Jackson – Come to stay

As the end of the year nears, many exciting events seem to be coming our way. The Roaring 20’s at Prom is one event that seems to be causing some mixed feelings among students attending. 

This poll has ended.

Prom

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Prom is a special event for students in high school, especially for seniors, as it marks the end of their high school experience as they prepare to graduate. However, many students are complaining about the amount of time they are required to stay there. All students have to check in by 8:30 PM but students can arrive as early as 7:30 PM. The thing that is causing the most fuss in students is that they have to stay there for 3 hours. 

Paying $70 for a single ticket would most likely guarantee an exciting and memorable night. With the music, dancing, and food, students will be occupied for most of the time, creating memories with friends that they will remember for the rest of their lives. It also gives people the opportunity to socialize with their peers outside of class. Staying for the entire event will allow you to immerse in all the aspects of the prom experience and see everything it has to offer. 

The cost that came with the event and everything else must’ve taken a lot of hard work, so staying for the whole event will show your appreciation towards the staff, parents, and volunteers who helped set up the event. 

Students prepare months in advance, buying their dresses and suits and planning out how they are going to do their hair and everything else. For some, it causes a lot of stress. For others, it can be exciting and fun. Spending hours getting ready for only being at the event for maybe an hour seems like a big waste of time. Why not stay there for the whole duration to make the amount of time you spend getting ready worth it? 

Ultimately, whether you are with the idea of staying for the whole duration of the time or against it, staying for the entire event can be fun and create memories you will never forget.

View Comments (1)