Face Off Friday: Spring Break Incoming

Regan Ralstin – 2 week spring break

Many students and teachers at Cathedral look forward to spring break every year, so why not make it longer? Tons of schools have two-week spring breaks, so Cathedral should too!

Spring break is a great time to relax, unwind, go on vacation, play sports, have fun on your own time, and more. Students (and teachers) spend hours upon hours doing work and having a strict schedule. Breaks are built into schools’ schedules to give a mental and physical break from this. Most students would agree that Spring Break is a great time.

Many people go on vacation, which is a great reason why Cathedral should have two weeks. In many instances, a week does not give families enough time to travel, spend an adequate amount of time at their destination, and travel back. If Cathedral had two weeks, students could have plenty of time to get personal time, as well as take a nice vacation. 

Another reason is that some students have school work to do over break. This destroys the point of having a mental break from school. If Cathedral had two weeks, students could have time to do their work and still have time to relax. The last thing that students should have to do is work while on vacation. Traveling gives the experience of spending time with friends and family, not having to worry about school, and a flexible schedule away from home. Students should not have to miss out on this opportunity, just do work that they have to do every day during the school year.

As one could assume, many students and teachers agree with this issue. Tyler Ralstin, a freshman at Mt. Vernon High School, is one of them. He gets a two-week spring break, and says, “I love it. It gives me time to have fun with my friends and get a break from school. I think everyone should have a two-week spring break to be able to relax and recharge.” So the question remains, should Cathedral have a two-week spring break, or stick to the original schedule?

Camila Jackson – 1 week spring break

Students should have a one-week long spring break instead of a two-week long spring break. While a longer break might seem like a better and more preferable option, a shorter break has many benefits for students, while a longer spring break brings many drawbacks.

This poll has ended.

SPRING BREAK

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Most schools tend to aim towards a one-week break rather than a two-week break, knowing that that extra week will go towards a longer summer break or any other break throughout the school year.  Of course, breaks throughout the year are essential for the well-being and mental health of students and teachers. Not taking regular breaks throughout the year can lead to a significant decrease in one’s academic performance as it doesn’t allow students to rest and recharge to reduce stress and burnout, though longer breaks will only add more stress. 

First off, a one-week break allows students to remain focused on their schoolwork. Though of course, they won’t focus on school for those 7 days, they will still have retained some sort of information they learned before leaving school.

Also, their motivation to do school work and study will not be as difficult to get back compared to a two-week long spring break, as students tend to get used to the relaxing day-to-day routine. As students return to school after a one-week break, they will most likely be more prepared to get back on track and not have to spend as much time trying to get their motivation back. Sophomore, Colin Jackson says, “I think a one-week break is better because when I get back to school, I won’t have as much trouble trying to get back to my normal routine.”

A one-week break is also much more affordable for families. There is less pressure to plan long, expensive vacations to try to keep your family occupied. A shorter break means that a family can enjoy a break without the stress of spending too much money. 

While a longer spring break might seem better to some, a one-week break has many more benefits. It helps students stay on track with school, avoid stressful situations, and is more affordable for families. Overall, a one-week spring break is the way to go.

View Comments (1)