Thanksgiving Taste Off

The staff puts together their ultimate Thanksgiving meal. Who put together the best plate?

Caroline Schilling

The ultimate Thanksgiving plate can be quite a controversial conversation, but I have perfected mine. The clear choice is ham over turkey, a hefty side of mashed potatoes (don’t forget the gravy), a large portion of mac and cheese, and of course some green beans. This is clearly the ultimate plate, and is full of delicious home cooked food to share with loved ones. Thanksgiving is the best time to share quality time with your loved ones. To make the holiday better, you’re able to eat the most delicious food and share the excitement with the ones closest to you. The holidays are the opportunity to spend time with your family, and what better addition than the ultimate Thanksgiving plate.

Luke Spencer

My ideal Thanksgiving plate has to start with both ham and turkey as the main course, but everyone knows sides are the most important. My go-to sides are Mac n Cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy and some vegetables. Usually, I go with carrots and celery. For dessert, I always have to have a slice of pumpkin pie. Building the ultimate Thanksgiving dinner is very important, as Thanksgiving is the one day where eating too much food is encouraged. So you might as well make the most of it.

Daniel Kent

Thanksgiving is my all-time favorite holiday; from the traditions, to the family, and of course, to the food, I love it all. Now this leads to the question: What is the ultimate Thanksgiving dinner? My plates include turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, cheesy potatoes, cider-and-bourbon glazed shallots, bread, and green beans. I make the cider-and-bourbon glazed shallots each year, and smelling their fragrance while they simmer is a delicacy itself. Our family’s menu has been carefully crafted over many years, and this combination of flavors provides for an unforgettable and filling Thanksgiving meal. Serving up the ultimate Thanksgiving plate is essential to a successful holiday, and my plate is the only way to go.

Avery Stuckey

The ultimate Thanksgiving meal would include lots of classic Thanksgiving food. Starting off with Turkey, obviously (refer to last year’s Face Off Turkey vs Ham). Mashed potatoes are a perfect yet simple complement to the turkey. I am also a big fan of veggies which are very important to include on your Thanksgiving plate. My mom started making bacon wrapped asparagus, sounds weird but don’t knock it till you try it. Mac and cheese is also a staple to any good meal, in my opinion and can easily be made a classic dish included on the perfect Thanksgiving plate. Finally, a pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream is the best way to finish off the feast. The Thanksgiving traditions are perfect for family bonding. Something about food can just bring people together, which is why the perfect plate is essential to quality family time.

Roch Egan

Ahhh Thanksgiving, sitting around the table while mother interrogates the family trying to extract what everyone is thankful for… well, mom I’ve got food to eat! That food of course starts with turkey. Dark meat only, thigh or drumstick please, placed on top of delicious roasted garlic mashed potatoes and without a doubt covered in gravy made from the turkey drippings. Alongside this tower of goodness we place the stuffing, cornbread stuffing made with Granny Smith apples, sage sausage, and sautéed mushrooms. Brussels sprouts made with bacon bring color to the plate in addition to the appearance of health, and then lastly 2021 Cathedral graduate Joseph Egan whips up some fresh, made-from-scratch rolls. The point of Thanksgiving is to be grateful for all that’s around you and a delicious well-made plate gives the perfect example for something to be thankful for when put on the spot.

Camila Jackson

For my ultimate Thanksgiving meal, I would put a hefty amount of roasted turkey along with mashed potatoes and gravy. To add, I would plate some green beans and maybe even some Mac and cheese. If offered dessert, I would gladly take some of my mother’s famous homemade pumpkin bread. Building the ultimate Thanksgiving dinner plate tells you what Thanksgiving is all about. The care and love that goes into the making of the food allows you to be able to see and express gratitude for the good things in life. We are able to reflect on all the things that we are grateful for over a table of tasty food.

Joseph Crisp

When I think of Thanksgiving dinner my mind goes immediately to 6 different foods. Those foods are ham, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, stuffing, and gravy. This is the perfect way to assemble your plate because you get a great meat, and a bunch of savory sides to complement the ham. My favorite dish on my plate has to be the green bean casserole. That is my favorite meal on my plate because it is a cheesy and savory piece of casserole and I only get to eat it once a year. After the main meal is complete, I always go in for dessert and get the pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Celia Miles

Thanksgiving is the best holiday ever, which calls for the best plate ever, On my plate I would start with turkey, obviously because it’s way better than ham. Next, I would reach for mashed potatoes, but they have to be homemade, with gravy on top, brown gravy of course. Up next is a whopping 4 rolls made by my grandma because they are the best thing ever created. Lastly, I’m going to add jello because I feel like that’s a prime staple in any Thanksgiving meal. I hope this inspires others to make the best Thanksgiving plate ever following this guide.

Caroline Drew

What is my perfect Thanksgiving plate? The plate that no matter how full I am I have to wipe it clean. This plate for me would consist of a heaping pile of mashed potatoes topped with stuffing and drizzled in gravy. On the side would be roasted asparagus with melted butter and parmesan cheese. To top off the meal I would load my plate with the biggest serving of my moms strawberry pretzel jello. Fresh strawberries mixed into strawberry jello with a pretzel and whipped cream crust. If these three delights are not sitting in front of me this coming holiday, my Thanksgiving will be incomplete.

Katherine Nash

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and soon we will be sitting down and enjoying various dishes with family. My family and I work diligently for hours to prepare our ginormous feast for 6 people. When I am picking from our dishes, I pick jello, ham, mashed potatoes, and brussels sprouts. These dishes are nonnegotiable. Nothing is better than sitting around the table with family eating the hard work cooked meal.