Dancing With Tradition

Sophomore Laura Correa displays her Mexican Culture through her dancing.
Laura Correa dancing at Ensamble Folklorico Performance on September 16 with her dance partner. (Photo sent from Laura Correa)

Students at Cathedral devote much of their time to their academic, athletic, and social life. For sophomore Laura Correa, one of her dedications involves dancing for the Ensamble Folklorico, a dance school here in Indianapolis that is deeply inspired to spread the Mexican tradition through the art of dance.

Laura says, “I participate in it because it brings me close to my culture and I get to meet a lot of interesting people and go through so many new experiences.”

Folklorico, a type of dance traditionally done in Mexico, is used to reflect on and show the unique traditions, cultures, and beliefs of different states in the Mexican Republic. Laura says, “Dancing was a way to unify and give meaning to the Mexicans in the 1800s and I just feel so honored to be able to show my appreciation through folklorico.”

Yucatan, a Mexican state known for its Mayan Ruins and Gulf of Mexico beaches, was assigned to Laura. Happily taking the task of displaying its distinct culture, Laura began her hard work to prepare for the big performance. “My dance group and I, despite myself not having much experience, worked hard all summer and had intense, long practices until our big performance in September.”

Through her performance, on September 16, Mexico’s Independence Day, Laura was able to express the gift of life through her detailed choreography. Laura says, “I love learning the choreography and working with teachers from prestigious Mexican dance schools.”

Yucatan’s history, culture, and traditions were woven into her intricate performance as well as props and music in the background to show a more real-life perspective of Yucatan itself. Correa recalls the time spent creating her long, vibrant, flowy skirt that was used to capture the eyes of the audience and to allow them to be able to see the unique culture of each of the states. The skirts swayed from side to side as women twirled to the rhythm of the music. Audience members were captivated by the complex dancing and the talented group of people up on the stage. 

Laura Correa joined the team seeking a way to show her passion for dancing and she received an unexpected amount of support and love from her family and friends. “I worked with a great group of devoted people and I couldn’t be more thankful.” says Laura.