Wrapping Up Homecoming

Homecoming Week on the Hill is like no other, a week full of school spirit and collaboration implemented each year to carry out Cathedral traditions.
Joellen Desautels
Mr. Anthony Ernst, Director of Student Activities, directs traffic sporting some Irish apparel to celebrate Homecoming Week.

Does a week consisting of dress up days, hallway decorating, the student fundraiser, Powderpuff, the Spirit Stick and the dance sound familiar? It’s Homecoming week! Here on the Hill, this spirited week has just concluded. 

This filled week is planned by many administration members, Student Council, class officers and other students with the goal to bring students together and show continued school spirit. Student Council Moderator Mrs. Kim Jamell wrote in an email, “I think these fun traditions make us family. We are all together, making memories.” She works alongside Co-Moderator Mr. Ed Freije ‘99 to collaborate with members to create a week full of memories for all. 

He said, “A lot of spirit at Cathedral comes as being part of who we are, which is magnified during Homecoming week. It’d be awesome if we had all of our students totally engaged in the week, but that is not always the case as it really does come down to peers motivating peers and encouraging others to be involved and buy into the week as a whole.”

Each year, members of Student Council collaborate on dress up days for students to participate in. This year, the dress up themes were All Out Irish (Friday), decades day (Tuesday), country vs. country club (Wednesday), sports moms vs. barbecue dads (Thursday) and class themes (Friday). These days allow for students to show creativity and enjoy a spirited activity for each day. 

Freije said, “The student council members and class officers put a lot of work into the week, and our educators are very patient throughout the week. To be able to do the things that we do here at Cathedral and be able to have some of the fun that we have takes a lot of student work, but it also takes a lot of patience by adults and educators to support it, to help promote it and help be a part of it.”

The Spirit Stick, a tradition implemented upon the passing of two students, was implemented to unite classes and form relationships. This competition is dependent upon student involvement in the student fundraiser, hallway decorating, dance participation, and dress up. This year, the Class of 2025 won the Spirit Stick. 

Senior Cabinet Member for Student Council Bryce Hahn worked alongside fellow classmates in preparation for this week. He said, “Homecoming week is not just a week to play dress up or compete for the spirit stick, yes those are important, but that’s not everything! The main goal is to unite Cathedral into a family. But even a little boost of energy, like a dress up day or excitement for hall decorating, you (students) are able to gain a much deeper sense of who is actually around you versus who you thought was around you! This is exactly why the Student Council works so hard to make sure that these are in the exact order they should be to accomplish our goal!”