The Student News Site of Cathedral High School | Indianapolis, Indiana

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Irish Connection

Game Time

Intramural basketball has begun and the competitive spirit of its athletes is showing.
Team SMO poses after their first game on Monday.

At Cathedral intramural basketball is becoming bigger and bigger every year. Intramural basketball is described as a club-like activity giving students opportunities to play together in a competitive and fun manner. Anyone and everyone is invited to sign up to play intramural no matter how much basketball experience you have, your grade, or gender.

The games take place before school starting around 7:15 to 8:15 allowing students in spring sports to still have the chance to play. This year the moderators even had to limit the amount of teams playing from 16 to 12 because of the popularity it was gaining. Limiting the number of teams in the league allows for everyone to have a fair number of games. This is partially because spring break is so early and there are several days off from school coming up, including SATs for juniors, and St. Patrick’s day and Easter.

Not only is intramural used for its competitive and athletic nature but it also gives students a chance to bond and create new friendships. Aundrey Wright, Advanced Physical Education Teacher said, “I think it gives students another extracurricular activity outside of the educational day and allows them to form bonds. For example, the wrestling team and swim team had a team and so it brings teammates and students together.”

The 2 final teams play in a championship game in front of the whole school. The winning team also gets a plaque which allows them to forever remember the most important win of their lives. There is also now a small budget for the league which gives teams a chance to win a hat or a shirt.

Senior Luke Spencer who plays on Team Jelly is confident in his team’s ability this year. Showing the competitive nature of the club he says, “I know it’s going to be hard to win the championship. There’s a few pretty good teams this year but I think we have a good chance. Winning the championship is definitely our goal. I’m feeling good about our chances. This is our year.”