Irish Take the Jump to 6A

After the success of the last season, the football team moved from the 5A division up to the 6A division.

The student body watches the Fighting irish take a commanding 43-12 lead.

With the school year kicking off, many students are looking forward to upcoming events. One of the main highlights of the fall semester, football season, had its first game this past Friday on Aug. 21. For just an hour and a half drive, spectators were able to witness the Irish take on the Broncos of Lafayette Jeff. In preparation for the kickoff to the season, Senior Tommy Davey said, “I’m excited for the game, it’s a fresh start for the team”.

After an exciting game, the final score ended with a 43-12 win for the Irish. Despite the positive start, Head Football Coach Bill Peebles said, “We have to get better. We’ve got a lot of new starters and we need to use every opportunity at practice to get better as a team.” With the recent jump from 5A to 6A as a result of winning the previous state championship, the competition this year has increased. Peebles said, “It will impact the competition. The playoffs will be potentially harder than any game we played last year.”

With the increased difficulty comes an increased need for support. After winning the banner last year, it is up to the students on the Hill this year to keep that spirit strong. Even if only a few of the games are at home this year, that doesn’t mean they are any less exciting. Peebles said, “Just come and support the Irish and have a great time doing so. Friday nights are a lot of fun in the stands.”

The Irish travel to Brownsburg Friday night for a showdown with the Bulldogs.