Winter sports preview: Women’s basketball

Annika Garwood

During the varsity game last season against Lafayette Central Catholic, Justis Gordon brings the ball up the court.

The women’s basketball team is off to a strong start, with the varsity winning its first two games. 

There is a new face at the head coaching position. Mrs. Lisa Finn has taken over from Mrs. Reggie Melson, who did not return at the end of last season. 

In an email, the new coach, who played on a State championship team during her senior year in high school, wrote, “I have been blessed with the honor to coach not only my daughter, but all of the girls on this team. I see them all as my daughters.”

The team lost some strong players from last year but are returning key contributors including  senior forward Nyah Conway, senior guard Justis Gordon, senior guard Cassie Piper, junior forward Caroline Cline, junior forward Mia Finn, junior guard Clara Lee, sophomore guard/forward Katie Bremer and sophomore guard London Brooks. Along with coaches Mrs. Megan Schmidt, Miss Allie Griffith, and Dr. John “Doc” Marosky, the staff is ready.

“The season was a little disappointing from a fan’s standpoint last year, but this year we have a great group of girls and are ready to roll,” Finn said. 

With senior captains Conway, Gordon and Piper at the helm, the Irish look for success on the court. Cline, Finn and Lee are being looked upon to provide a strong outing to help this team excel. With Courtney Fields back after missing last season, the Irish have added another threat on the floor with her. Along with sophomores Katie Bremer and London Brooks and freshman Catherine Madden, “this team is dangerous, we are really deep and no team can guard all of the players on the floor. They are too talented,” said Finn. 

The varsity opened with wins over Covenant Christian 67-32 and Fort Wayne Southside 65-58 and was scheduled to play Warren Central on Nov. 12.