Barlow reacts to Hall of Fame induction

Former high school, college and pro star gives glory to God

Megaphone file photo

Mr. Ken Barlow ’82 outlined the plans for the upcoming multicultural assembly.

The Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame announced has announced its 58th men’s induction class, and one of the members of that class is Vice President of Community Relations and Diversity Mr. Ken Barlow ’82, who was named as one of the youngest inductees.

According to the website of Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, players may become eligible for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame induction if at least 26 years ago he or she played high school basketball in Indiana and made significant contributions to the sport. Accumulating 25 years of varsity experience or 10 years after retirement from high school coaching is required for coaches to qualify. Since candidates may be nominated by anyone, the inductees represent the majority’s favor.

Barlow was a basketball player at the highest levels throughout high school, and was also an All American. He led the Irish to the Final Four during his senior year at a time when the high school tournament was not divided into classes. The team during his senior year won the Sectional, Regonal and Semistate and lost to eventual State champion Plymouth in the State semifinal that was played at Market Square Arena.

He also continued playing in college and also professionally across Europe. Being recruited to the prestigious 1982 McDonald’s All-American team as one of the 23 best high school players in the country, Barlow furthered his basketball career. After graduating from Notre Dame as the Student Athlete of the Year in 1986, Barlow played professionally in Europe, were his team won 12 championships, with titles in Italy, Greece, and Israel.

Besides holding significant records for the team, one of Barlow’s biggest honor is having his Greek and Italian jerseys hanging in museums in these countries. Barlow also said he thinks that developing relationships with people he has been with and places he has been to during his basketball career are parts of his significant memories in his life.

After receiving this honor, Barlow expressed that he is thankful and also humbled by it. He indicated that basketball is simply one of his primary focuses in life. He said, “Of course basketball was to give my best each day and encourage others to give their best, both my teammates and my opposition and celebrating our best efforts together.”

Barlow expressed his passion not only in this sport, but also in supporting others in life. In addition, Barlow said he would like to thank all of his outstanding teammates, supportive coaches and respectful opponents he has met in his basketball career. He also expressed his appreciation for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame for selecting him and all of those who encouraged him to give his best along his career with basketball.

Beyond personal records and honors, he revealed his deeper understanding of playing basketball as a team, “If winning is solely defined as defeating our opponents, (then) we are all losing.”
Aside from his peers, Barlow is also thankful for his family and friends. He said he believes that they all played a critical role in helping him to achieve the honor he received.

Moreover, Barlow expressed that he is most grateful to God “who blessed me by guiding me, strengthening me and keeping my out of harm way in the process. And without a question, God blessed me with the wisdom to avoid anything detrimental to my growth as a basketball player. Thanks be to God. Hopefully, people see more Him and less me even in this honor of being inducted into the Hall of Fame.”

Barlow also acknowledged that when the Hall of Fame swore him to secrecy for seven days along with the congratulations of him being inducted, he immediately shared the news with his wife on that same day. But we won’t tell, as neither did Mrs. Barlow.