Athletic schedule: Week of Jan. 8

Women’s basketball to host City tournament

Submitted photo

The men’s varsity basketball team, which defeated Roncalli Jan. 5, will host Carmel on Jan. 10 in the Welch Activity Center.

It’s a busy week for Irish athletes after they return from Christmas vacation, with the bowling teams participating in the Sectional, the wrestlers hosting the Cathedral 4-Way, the men’s varsity basketball team playing Carmel and the women’s varsity basketball team taking part in the City tournament, among other events.

Jan. 8: The men’s freshman basketball team plays at Brebeuf Jesuit at 6 p.m. and the women’s freshman basketball team hosts Lebanon at 6 p.m.

Jan. 9: The men’s freshman basketball team hosts Cardinal Ritter at 6 p.m., the wrestlers take part in a triple dual meet at 6 p.m. at Beech Grove, and the women’s JV and varsity basketball teams host the first round of the City tournament at 6 and 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 10: The men’s and women’s bowling teams compete in the Sectional at 3:30 at Woodland Bowl, the men’s JV and varsity basketball teams host Carmel at 6 and 7:30 p.m. in the Welch Activity Center, and the freshman, JV and varsity wrestlers travel to Perry Meridian for 6 p.m. matches.

Jan. 11: The men’s and women’s swimming teams travel to Avon for a co-ed meet that begins at 6 p.m. and the women’s JV and varsity basketball teams host the semifinal round of the City tournament at 6 and 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 12: The finals of the women’s basketball City tournament will be played in the Welch Activity Center, with the JV game tipping off at 6 p.m. and the varsity following at 7:30.

Jan. 13: The varsity wrestlers host the Cathedral 4-Way, with competition set to begin at 8:30 a.m., with the freshman and JV wrestling teams taking part in the Ben Davis JV Invite at 9 a.m. The men’s freshman basketball team plays Southport at home at 10 a.m.