Two volleyball players earn national honors

Robinson, Schorr named academic all-Americans

Senior Nia Robinson and senior Maria Schorr have been named recipients of the High School Volleyball Academic All-American award by the National High School Coaches Association.

To earn the honor, the student athlete not only must be an outstanding player but also perform well in school and participate in community activities.

“They have the whole package,” Ms. Jean Kesterson, head women’s volleyball coach, said.
To qualify for nomination, students must have at least a 3.4 grade point average and either place in a State tournament or be selected as all-State at least once throughout their time in high school, according to the National High School Coaches Association website.

Robinson and Schorr are not the first Irish players to win the award. Eight others have been recognized prior to them, Kesterson said. Both Robinson and Schorr were named All-American as well, but they were more excited about the academic award. “That says something about our students,” she said.

Inside the athletics conference room, the walls are decorated with the awards of past and present volleyball players.

Second and third grade students attending volleyball summer camps are shown the plaques. “These kids are setting the standards and goals for all the little ones,” Kesterson said. “Nia and Maria both said, ‘I want to be on this wall.’”

And now, they are.