Spring sports update: Women’s tennis

Jade Zhao

Members of the women’s tennis team gather around Assistant Coach Mr. Joe Lustig after a recent practice.

The women’s tennis team is off to a hot start, as they are 3-0 as of April 25. The team kicked off their season on April 19, winning 3-2 against 18th-ranked North Central. On April 21, they made easy work of Bishop Chatard, winning 5-0. In their latest match on April 23, the team defeated Hamilton Southeastern 4-1. 

The team is led by a strong group of underclassmen, as the Number-1 and Number-2 singles players are both sophomores. These sophomores, Izzy Carrillo and Tess Wojtalik, have been key to the team’s success so far. They both hold a 3-0 record, along with Number-3 singles player and senior Sara Wojtalik. The team’s doubles players are also dominated by underclassmen, as the Number-1 doubles team is led by freshman Izzy Ireland, along with senior Grace Foster, and they boast a 2-1 record. The Number-2 doubles team consists of sophomores Taylor Lewis and Riley Kavanaugh.

The JV team is also off to a good start, according to Head Coach Mr. Jeff Giles. They hold a 1-2 record as of April 25, but there has been some great performances by underclassmen who will hope to move up to be varsity players in the future. Notable players so far include sophomores Ellen Jacobson, Klaudia Fahle, Lauren Goodman and Maddy White. 

Upcoming: The team will face Carmel at home on April 26, beginning at 5 p.m. It is the first of two straight home matches for the team, as they will take on Roncalli on the Hill at 5 p.m. on May 2. That match will begin a back-to-back-to-back for the team as they travel to Park Tudor and Brebeuf Jesuit on May 3 and May 4 respectively. Both matches will begin at 4:30 p.m.