Winter sports preview: Men’s basketball

Cathedran file photo

The men’s basketball games scheduled for Feb. 16 have been postponed.

Head coach: Mr. Jason Delaney

Assistant coaches: Mr. Ryan Gold, Mr. Demetrik Jones, Mr. Matt Jones, Mr. Michael O’Bryan ’95, Mr. Sam Neighbours, Mr. Aundrey Wright, Mr. Donald Yates

First official IHSAA-allowed practice: Nov. 9

Last year’s varsity record: 18-6

Preseason honors: Both junior Tayshawn Comer and junior Peter Moe are ranked in the Top 100 players in the state, according to Delaney.

Key returning athletes: Along with Comer and Moe, Delaney listed senior Jalen Johnson, guard; senior Vincent Brady, guard, senior Nick Bremer, guard; junior Jaxon Edwards, guard, junior Jaiden Malichi, forward; sophomore Jake Davis, guard; sophomore Jaron Tibbs, guard; sophomore Xavier Booker, forward; sophomore Sincere Germany, guard; freshman Dhani Flannigan, guard. 

Season opener: The Irish are scheduled to open the season on Nov. 24 in the WAC against Bowman Academy

Key games during the season: The team will play Cincinnati (Ohio Woodward) in the Ohio Valley Hoops Classic on Nov. 28, will participate in the Brownsburg Sneakers for Santa tournament on Dec. 5, playing Bolingbrook (Illinois) at 4:45 p.m. and will travel to Warren Central on Dec. 11 for a 7:30 p.m. varsity tip off.

From Coach Delaney: “We are extremely excited about this season because of the mixture of players that we have. We have players who want to be coached and pushed that are determined to keep the program moving towards the championship goal. The Sectional will be as hard as ever because of offseason moves, but we are confident in this group of young men.”