Winter sports preview: Women’s basketball

Cathedran file photo

The women’s basketball team will take on Warren Central in the opening round of the Sectional tournament.

Head coach: Mrs. Lisa Finn

Assistant coaches: Mrs. Linda Bamrick (varsity assistant), Ms. Allie Griffith (JV head coach), Mrs. Megan Schmidt (program assistant coach), Ms. Sarah Burch (freshman coach), Mr. John “Doc” Marosky (volunteer assistant)

Date of first official IHSAA-allowed practice: Oct. 19

Last year’s varsity record: 15-10

Last year’s honors: The team was runner-up in the City tournament and seniors Courtney Fields and Clara Lee were named to the all-City team.

Key returning players: The varsity roster includes Fields, Lee and junior Katie Bremer, forward; senior Mia Finn forward; senior Caroline Cline, forward; senior Nyla Bingham, guard; junior Darryn Ely, forward; sophomore Cat Madden, forward; and sophomore Kendal Bolen, sophomore, who transferred from Roncalli. Cline, Fields, Finn, Lee and Bingham will serve as team captains.

Season opener: The team opens the season on Nov. 3 at Covenant Christian.

Key games this season: The home opener is Nov. 5 against Brownsburg, with Senior Night on Nov. 10 against Warren Central. The Irish host crosstown rival Bishop Chatard on Nov. 25.

From Coach Finn: “The Irish return five seniors who have all played varsity for four years. The Irish will look to better their 15-10 record from last season.  With the loss of some major scoring to graduation, the upperclassmen will have to step up in the scoring category this season.  Courtney Fields will be a big asset on offense and is the returning leading scorer from last year with 12 points per game.  As always, our schedule will be quite challenging, but necessary to prepare us for our postseason. We are excited about the positive energy we’ve had in the gym since July.  I am also excited for Hall of Fame member and former women’s basketball Head Coach Mrs. Linda Bamrick to join our coaching staff as my varsity assistant.”