Junior Myra Miller named one of nine members of IHSAA advisory board

IHSAA student advisory committe, listed below, poses for a photo.

For members of the Indiana High School Athletic Association student advisory committee, the football State championship games last month were more than just handing out pamphlets and trophies. The board members assumed different roles throughout the event as they do with other major athletic tournaments.

Junior Myra Miller is one of nine juniors from across the state who has been named to the board this year and has attended and been involved in several IHSAA events since the start of the school year.

Members learn how to take on leadership roles in the state association. She said, “I worked the football State championship, and that was an amazing experience.” She and other members of the student committee passed out pamphlets and helped Assistant Commissioner Mr. Robert Faulkens with the events that occurred at Lucas Oil Stadium.

These student members represent the entire state as well as the schools in each of the six IHSAA football tournament classes, which are based on enrollment.

Both the junior and senior members of the committee went on a workshop last summer to get familiar with each other, as well as create an agenda for the fall area principal/student meetings.

Principal and IHSAA Advisory Board member Mr. Dave Worland said, “It’s a lot like a retreat; they become friends.” The students get together to attempt to accomplish common goals. This multi-purposed activity prepares the students how to function as a member of the student advisory committee throughout the next year.

“Members play a huge role to help see that a lot of things behind the scenes happen,” said Worland. Students like Miller help pass out medals, get the footballs and tennis balls for the players during those sports tournaments and work other State championship games.

The senior board meets six times a year and spends four hours at the IHSAA offices, which are located at 91st and Meridian streets. They meet to come up with policy changes in sports as well as schedule certain events.

The members selected for the group serve a crucial role as well as provide the student perspective to the IHSAA.

Matthew Godfrey-Guerin Catholic

Kyrsa Galyan-Monrovia

Hannah Potter-Noblesville

Kaelynn Abner-North Putnam

Will Hayes-Terre Haute South

Brandt Callahan-Bedford NL

Madison Vauters-Mooresville

Haley Nestor-Borden

Isaiah Lehman-Lakeland

Taylor Hall-Crispus Attucks

Carter Filchak-Bremen

Warren McWilliams-Evansville Central

Kylie Shourds-South Spencer

Matt Cotner-Highland

Lexi Brown-Oldenburg

Myra Miller-Cathedral

Korbin Zvokel-Wes-Del

Maci Weeks-Eastern