Senior diver sets goals for upcoming season

Mernitz hopes to improve on last year’s 12th place State finish

Cathedran file photo

Senior Sophie Mernitz dives in last year’s State meet.

Senior Sophie Mernitz hopes to make a splash heading into her final season on the women’s swimming and diving team. 

Mernitz was a gymnast for 13 years before she quit after her freshman year. Her older sister, Kaya Mernitz, was a diver as well and inspired Sophie to follow in her footsteps. Mernitz participates in club and high school level diving. “It’s like any other sport. You have the high school level and club sports. I get to participate in USA diving meets outside of high school season,” she said.

The high school competition season is from October to February, with the club diving season being all year long, although their competition season is February to October. Mernitz practices club diving every week from Monday through Saturday, and the school team practices once a week on Tuesdays. 

She finished 12th at the State meet last year, and she said she hopes to move up in placement in this year. The State meet will take place Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at the IU Natatorium in Downtown Indianapolis. 

Mernitz recently committed to the University of Iowa and will participate in diving there as well. She will study biomedical engineering.

Aside from diving, Mernitz is involved in the peer mentor program, helps at the writing center in Loretto, is a tutor at math open gym and participates in a Sunday youth group at her church.

“I’ve always really enjoyed being a part of the team, it’s always been a lot of fun,” Mernitz said. Her goals for this season are to place higher, improve her dives overall, and, “have fun since it’s my senior year.”

According to information posted on the athletic website, the team opens the season on Nov. 25 with a meet at Ben Davis against Brebeuf Jesuit and Cardinal Ritter.