Irish among eight ‘The Zone 8’ semifinalists

Four finalists to be announced Nov. 2

Caroline Steiger

Cathedral is one of eight high schools named semifinalists in the WISH-TV “In the Zone” competition. Students show their spirt at the football varsity season opener in Lucas Oil Stadium.

WISH-TV has named Cathedral, along with seven other Central Indiana high schools, finalists in the annual “The Zone 8” spirit competition.

WISH sports reporter Mr. Anthony Calhoun and his team go to local high school games to see what student sections are “in the zone,” showcasing the most spirit. WISH-TV’s crew is also accompanied by The Mix 107.9 and HotBox Pizza for tunes and good eats.

Other finalists include Brownsburg, Bishop Chatard, Carmel, Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Southeastern, Warren Central and Westfield to continue competing for the banner. 

Following the announcement, Vice Principal Mr. Jere Kubuske declared the student body could dress up for Halloween in celebration. From spooky masks to movie characters to athletes, the campus was in the “Twilight Zone.”

The final four finalists will be announced Nov. 2 at 11 p.m. following the Sectional football game. The Irish travel to Decatur Central for a 7 p.m. kick off. According to an email sent to the entire student body by senior Michael McNulty, the leprechaun, the theme for the game is camo.