Home athletic schedule: Week of April 16

Softball team to challenge top-ranked Center Grove

Libby Larch

The softball team in action last season.

As the spring sports season continues, the Irish look to take on top level competition. Listed are all home events for the week of April 16, including the undefeated softball squad taking on the top-ranked team in the state, Center Grove.

The complete schedule for the week may be accessed at the Cathedral athletics website.

April 16: Due to the cold temperatures, sleet and snow, all events have been canceled.

April 17: The women’s JV softball team welcomes Franklin Central to the Hill for a 5:30 p.m. contest, while the varsity squad plays at Brunette Park against Heritage Christian at 5:30 p.m. Women’s JV and varsity lacrosse teams compete at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. JV welcomes Brebeuf Jesuit while varsity looks to defend its home field against Heritage Christian. Men’s JV baseball welcomes Brownsburg at 5:30 p.m.

April 18: In perhaps the biggest matchup of the week, the undefeated varsity softball squad aims to dethrone the top ranked team in the state, Center Grove, at 5:30 p.m. Freshman baseball welcomes Pendleton Heights at 5:30 p.m. and freshman women’s tennis takes on North Central at 4:30 p.m.

April 19: Freshman baseball welcomes Avon to Brunette Park at 5:30 p.m. JV softball aims to take down Carmel at 5 p.m., while women’s JV and varsity tennis faces off against Bishop Chatard at 5:30 p.m. All three levels of men’s volleyball (freshman, JV and varsity) take on Franklin Community in the Welch Activity Center. Freshman and JV matches start at 6 p.m., with the varsity match capping off the night at 7:30 p.m.

April 20: No home events scheduled.

April 21: The freshman baseball team competes in doubleheader against Brownsburg at 10 a.m. and noon.