Staff, German students ready for ShamrAuction

Annual event set for Feb. 24

Max Eslava '17

Cathedral President Mr. Rob Bridges addressed the crowd at last year’s ShamrAuction.

The Feb. 24 ShamrAuction not only gives students the day off school on Feb. 23, but also will provide those students in German classes the chance to improve their language skills.

For those freshmen who are new to the school and who may not know, ShamrAuction is a “the largest fundraiser that Cathedral puts on annually. This is its 41st year. We invite people to Cathedral for a night of fun (as well as a) silent and live auction. All proceeds go to tuition assistance (and) excellence in academics, the arts and athletics,” according to Director of Events Miss Katie O’Brien.

German teacher Mr. Joshua Payne-Elliott noted that the event uses a theme every year, and this year’s is Oktoberfest. Payne said, “(My students) do learn about the German Oktoberfest in class but that is a normal part of my curriculum. My students will be volunteering. They will greet and speak German to the guests.”

Some features of this ShamrAuction in include a German polka band, a mock beer hall and two goats. O’Brien said, “The Bavarian countryside is something that will be represented at the ShamrAuction. We thought goats would help with that theme.” For food, there will be schnitzel (German tenderloin), spaetzle (German noodles) and German apple strudel and black forest cake, also known as Schwarzwalderkirchtorte.

Behind the scenes of Oktoberfest, in addition to O’Brien and Michelle Rhodes Taylor ’01 “there is a committee of around 30 parents, past parents and friends of Cathedral that also help to make ShamrAuction happen.” said O’Brien. “We work together to make ShamrAuction come to life.”

No classes will take place on Feb. 23 so that the staff can set up various areas of the building for the big event.