Students on campus wait for roads to improve

Administration ensures safe environment as well as lunch

Annika Garwood

At 11 a.m. on Jan. 24, the library provided a warm and safe place for students on campus who were waiting for road conditions to improve or their parents to pick them up after classes were delayed and then canceled.

As a result of freezing rain and sleet that had not been predicted and that arrived at the same time as the morning rush hour, at 6:56 a.m. on Jan. 24, students, staff and parents received a text message informing them that the school would operate on a two-hour delay, with classes beginning at 9:50 a.m.

For some, turning around and going back home was the best option. But for others, continuing the journey to school and sticking out the two hours made more sense.

Then, at 8:16 a.m., students, staff and parents received another text message informing students that because of worsening road conditions, Jan. 24 would be an eLearning Day.

Freshman Avery Rowe said that her carpool ride could not take her home because, in order to ensure their safety, school administrators were prohibiting any students with cars from leaving the campus. This was due to the accidents and ice on East 56th street. “I guess I’ll just leave when we get the all clear from (Chief Officer for Student Affairs) Dr. (Tom) Greer and (Principal) Mr. (Dave) Worland,” Rowe said.

Junior Katie Kelley arrived at school around 7:20 because her dad drove her brother and her. “My dad didn’t want my brother driving us in these messy conditions.” Her father works Downtown and said he would pick Kelley up around 10:45.

About three dozen students gathered in the library and the cafeteria. Card games seemed to be a popular option for passing the time, as did accessing videos on iPads. The cafeteria opened at 10:50 a.m. and began serving lunch for any students who were on campus.

Latin teacher Mr. Brian Gross said that he arrived at school at 7:10 and is using his time as a catch-up day. “All of my students have their assignments and should work on those today,” he said.

Of the 50 to 60 students who normally take zero period APE, only 20 showed up to class this morning, according to junior Jacob Schommer. He said the people who did go to class were more upset that they did not get to sleep in as did their classmates.

In an email sent to students, staff and parents, Worland reiterated that “administration is on campus and will stay with students who have already arrived at Cathedral until they are able to arrange a ride home.” He apologized for the late communication, saying that “the slick roads were unexpected and came as a surprise. The decision to have a two-hour delay was made as soon as it was determined how hazardous the roads actually were in many areas.”

All students are to check Schoology and their emails for directions on eLearning Day assignments.