Broadcasting class provides high tech experience

Students’ assignments rotate on weekly schedule

Senior Alexander Dall and juniors Nandi Hawkins and Blake Bridges work on a project during their Period C broadcasting class on Nov. 8.

Chandler Watson

In the broadcasting class’s first year, business education teacher Ms. Jean Kesterson has already taken big steps in the right direction.

Kesterson said, “Kids wanted (the class) for a while, and after I retired from coaching, I wanted to spend more time in the classroom developing curriculum. And I was willing to learn about it and help to open the doors for students although we started with no funding.”

This class revolves around a week-by-week schedule where students, in groups of three, have a different job each week.

The jobs consist of producers who edit final videos, upload to YouTube and work on the closing credits, welcome/closing, student life reporting, sports reporting, upcoming events reporting and humor reporting,with students writing, editing and shooting video.

The students use a handful of computers that run on Premiere Pro by Adobe programming, some rented cameras and the book Make It Memorable, by Bob Dotson that they use as a style manual.

They even came up with acronyms for their class. Cathedral WIN, Weekly Irish News, by CBN, Cathedral Broadcasting Network.

With the little funding, small Wi-Fi capability outside of school and the rented equipment, the broadcasting class is still creating content with the help of Webmaster Mr. Ray Sup, Chief Information Officer Mr. Rolly Landeros and Mr. Scott Uecker from the University of Indianapolis; the class has provided play by play announcing for several fall sports, created an Open House video and plans on covering winter sports such as basketball and wrestling.

Kesterson said, “I’m amazed with how many requests we get for ads and videos for clubs and classes.

“The students love the class,” Kesterson said, “The kids have energy that shows within their videos that are created.”

Junior Michael McNulty said, “I love this class. It’s really fun, and it is something I enjoy taking. I would definitely suggest taking it next semester.”

Senior Trent McDonald also is enrolled in the class.

He said, “This is a great class that I truly enjoy. It is a great environment that I gladly participate in.

“The broadcasting class itself is really fun and led by a great teacher in Coach K. It’s not only fun because of the people, but also because of the curriculum. I would definitely recommend trying to fit it into your schedule,” McDonald said.