Juniors plan a Great Gatsby themed prom night

Prom will take place April 29 at the JW Marriott

Emily Abriani

Juniors Anna Mattingly and Mary Ann McGinley sell donuts to senior Max Eslava before school on March 31 to fund this year’s prom.

This year’s prom committee and Junior Class co-moderators Mrs. Lisa Blamey and Miss Katie Klee have put in a plethora of time and effort into planning a night that seniors and juniors won’t forget: prom night.

Prom will take place April 29 at the JW Marriott in Downtown Indianapolis.

The planning process

Blamey said, “My role is to secure a prom venue year to year and to steer the Junior Class officers in the prom committee to find a theme for prom, one that we can incorporate with decorations to make the venue look nice.”

She said, “In order to make it look special and not a blank ballroom, students had to really brainstorm and communicate ideas to create a big theme that would fill up that empty space.”

The Junior Class officers selected this year’s theme, which is based on the novel The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Member of the prom committee and junior Maggie Bittinger said, “The committee meets to discuss decorations, fundraising and other little details. We were able to give our decorator some ideas for the venue. It’s fun that our theme is Gatsby, because we’re all juniors who read and loved the book last year.”

Bittinger continued, “There are so many fun details in The Great Gatsby: the green light, the eyes, swanky cars, all the glitz of the ‘20s. It will be really fun to see how it all comes together on prom night.”

Another annual tradition for prom is crowning prom court, which will consist of juniors and seniors.

Blamey said, “There will be a prom king and queen and prince and princess after students vote.”

The menu for the night will consist of a vegetable crudité station, beef sliders, chicken tenders with an assortment of dipping sauces, mac ‘n’ cheese, french fries, mini cheesecake bites, mini brownies, mini blondies, lemonade and water.

There will be a Breathalyzer beforehand, and students can order picture packages as well as take pictures in a photo booth once arrived at the venue.

Bittinger said, “Everyone should go to prom to experience a fun night with their friends and to have an excuse to wear a fabulous dress or tux.

A rite of passage

Blamey said prom is “a rite of passage for juniors and seniors. It’s a chance to dress formally and celebrate the end of the year with classmates.”

Students should arrive at school between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. and depart from the JW Marriott between 11 and 11:30 p.m. on April 29.

The last day to purchase prom tickets is Monday, with tickets costing $75 apiece.