Students’ art on display at State House

Exhibition continues through March 24

Senior Stephen Vukovits stands next to his drawing, which is part of an exhibit in the State House rotunda in Downtown Indianapolis.

Five students’ works of art are currently being displayed in the State House in Downtown Indianapolis, and that exhibition remains open until March 24.

Art teacher Mr. Jon Kane said in an email that each art teacher in Indiana who is a member of the National Art Education Association is allowed to enter five student entries.

“These students are selected to represent Cathedral High School because of the hard work and talent that led them to create such an outstanding quality of artwork,” Kane said. Those students are Lindsay Bell, Will Copeland, Jade Miller, Rachel Overstreet and Stephen Vukovits.

The exhibition, for which there is no charge, is located on the main floor of the Capitol Building just south of the rotunda in the south atrium and may be viewed during the hours the building is open: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays for tours at 10:15, 11:15, noon and 1.

The exhibition is part of the Youth Art Month Celebration.

Kane said, “I am so impressed with the technical and artistic strength demonstrated through the artwork of Cathedral students. Those who are participating in this exhibition represent the talent and creativity of all of our student artists at Cathedral, and their focused accomplishments through their art exemplify the development of well-rounded individuals through the core values of our Holy Cross mission.”

Kane noted that Overstreet’s work, a pastel titled “Pomegranates,” was awarded first place in the state in the high school division of the competition.