Final schedule and details for Irish 500 are announced

Students will attend Alpha and A periods on May 20

Cathedran file photo

The Welch Activity Center will be the site of the Irish 500 on May 20.

The final details and schedule for the Irish 500 on May 20 in the Welch Activity Center have been announced. 

The Irish 500 is a tricycle race between the classes. Each class will present four teams composed of two boys and two girls. The classes will compete in a race around the Welch Activity Center. Each team dresses up in a specific theme. School spirit and class camaraderie are at the heart of the Irish 500. 

The schedule has been changed to accommodate for the festivities. Alpha and A period are the two classes that will meet on Friday. These will be review sessions for the finals that will be given in these class periods on May 23. 

After the review time, students will head to the courtyard to begin the activities. There will be a cookout provided for students and staff. A fan favorite, the Kona Ice truck, will also be available for students to purchase items. To add to the ambiance and fun of the day, music will be played in the courtyard. Additionally, a classic car show will be presented on the circle. 

Students will be dismissed from class at 11 a.m. in order to make the most of the celebration in the courtyard. Students will then head to the Welch Activity Center for the fun. No students should arrive before noon. Additionally, students should leave their backpacks in their A period class and not take backpacks to the WAC.

This will be sophomore Klaudia Fahle’s second appearance in the race. She not only took part freshman year, but also signed up for this year as well. Fahle said, “Irish 500 is a time to get out of your comfort zone and enhance our school spirit. Why would I not want to be a part of that?”