Cafeteria staff says students have adjusted to schedule

Small batch cooking allows for flexibility, director reports

Emily Abriani

Seniors Lauren Buday, Morgan Klase and Kaylyn Krauss eat lunch and work on homework during G period on Feb. 2.

More than half way through the school year, students have adjusted to a new lunch schedule, and the cafeteria staff report that, despite the shorter lunch periods, sales have remained steady.

Foodservice director Mr. Paul Griggs described that these changes have not come without some minor challenges. Griggs said, “There is always a rhythm to everything, and we can’t seem to get the rhythm down because it seems like every time we think one thing, it changes.” Griggs also added that it is a bit of a guessing game as to which lunches will potentially be the busiest each day. He said, “Is B lunch going to be heavier today? Or is it C lunch? That’s just one of those things where we guess, and that might be one of our biggest obstacles.”

Griggs also described that anything from the weather to various school activities can affect how many students come through the cafeteria lines. “Weather plays a big deal. When it’s nice outside, almost nobody is in here (the cafeteria). The other big factor is if the retreats are happening or if the seniors or a whole class has to leave, those are the days where were see the real difference.”

On a daily basis, Griggs said, “A lunch is usually crowded. B is usually the light one, and C is sort of somewhere in the middle.” He added that B is usually the quickest lunch for students to getting in and out of the lines.

Griggs said, “It seems like no 14 days are ever the same.” He said that the cafeteria staff overcomes the daily changes because of the way they prepare the food. “We do a lot of small batch cooking, so we are able to adapt. Because of the way we do things to keep them fresher, we can sort of adjust.”

Griggs also said that the students’ flexibility has been greatly appreciated by the cafeteria staff as they have also gotten used to the new lunch schedules.

Many students also expressed varying opinions on the way lunches now work. Senior Meghan Lee said, “I don’t like (lunch) at all; I want to know who I’m going to sit with every day and not have to guess.”

Junior Delaney Nidiffer also added that she has not been a fan of the varying times available for students to eat lunch each day. Nidiffer said, “I don’t like that the lunches change every day. I feel like I never know for sure that I’m in the right place at the right time.”

Senior Nathan Lee conveyed a different view on this change. He said, “I like the varying lunch periods, especially when I have first or last lunch.” Nathan also said that despite having to walk from different areas of campus to reach the cafeteria, teachers usually give students plenty of time to enjoy lunch.

However, Nathan added that overall, he thinks lunches could be longer. He said, “I wish I had more time for lunch. This time could be used for studying or preparing for my classes.”

Meghan Lee also added that utilizing time during lunch has become more of a challenge with the new lunch style. Meghan said, “I don’t like the shorter lunch periods. I like to take my time and eat and not have to worry about when I have to get back to class.” Meghan also added, “I have no time to do anything but get my lunch and eat it.”

Time has also been an issue for Nidiffer. She said, “I don’t like walking to and from Cunningham for lunch because I feel like it cuts my lunch time down a lot.” Nidiffer also described that in the past she would use lunch as a resource, but now can’t because of the shorter periods.

Despite all of the variations and confusion, students and staff have been able to make the new lunch schedule work. Griggs said, “Students have been super flexible, and we really appreciate that.”