Megaphone website featured in national publication

Best of the High School Press recognizes exemplary journalism

Screen capture

The Megaphone website is one of 42 online student newspapers from across the nation featured in the National Scholastic Press Association’s 2021 edition of The Best of the Student Press.

The student newspaper website, irishmegahone.com, is featured in the 2021 Best of the High School Press, an annual publication that showcases exemplary high school journalism from across the nation.

Each year, the National Scholastic Press Association, which is based at the University of Minnesota, identifies outstanding individual and staff work in areas from photography to writing to design to websites. The Megaphone website is included after being named one of 42 National Pacemaker finalists last spring. Ava Amos ’21 and current senior Ashlynn Bakemeyer served as the co-editors-in-chief of last year’s Megaphone.

This year, Bakemeyer and senior Nicholas Rodecap are the publication’s co-editors. They coordinate the work of a staff of 16 students who produce an issue every three weeks and update the Megaphone website with new content every school day.

According to the preface of the publication, “This edition of the Best of the High School Press showcases some of the great student journalism produced across the country during a very challenging publication cycle. Covid-19 and virtual newsrooms did not deter the quality of the work of thousands of student journalists during the school year.”