Students reflect on their altered Easter celebrations

Baskets, Peeps still part of the tradition

Lauryn Woods

Fr. Jeff Godecker greets senior Lila Welch at Mass earlier this school year. Fr. Godecker celebrated Easter Mass in the school chapel, and that Mass was live streamed through the school’s Facebook page.

Christian families celebrated Easter this year much differently than they had in the past, without the typical Easter Mass or service followed by dinner with extended family.

However, for senior Kayla Brooks, sophomore Nicholas Rodecap and freshman Blaire Jones, they and their families adjusted their plans to celebrate during a time of social distancing.

“My mom always gets me an Easter basket, and it was pretty awesome she didn’t forget about that tradition,” Brooks said. “I didn’t even think about her getting me an Easter basket because of everything happening.” As Baptists, Brooks and her parents watched a livestream of Eastern Star Church and ate dinner around 3 p.m. “We usually go out or have a family and friend dinner, so it was pretty strange (with) just me, my mom and my dad.”

Brooks’s brother, a senior at Ball State, was still in Muncie, but her family packed him some leftovers and drove to his apartment to celebrate Easter with him. Brooks said, “I’ve been outside very few times in the past month, let alone to go to Muncie, so I was very grateful. I was so excited to see civilization and people.” She said they spoke briefly before returning home.

“Even though we had to be all together under these circumstances, it’s still fun nonetheless, and it makes you more grateful for the times you are together,” Brooks said.

For Rodecap, Easter wasn’t too out of the ordinary. His mother, Mrs. Grace Trahan-Rodecap, serves as the director of marketing for the school and helped Fr. Jeff Godecker with live streaming Mass from the school’s chapel. Rodecap said, “After that, we had family dinner at 2 o’clock, and other than the Mass being virtual, it was the same that it’s always been, just that obviously we didn’t go to the church we always go to for Easter.”

As a Catholic, Rodecap attends St. John the Evangelist. “We took a family picture, which is something that has become a tradition,” Rodecap said, explaining how they’ve done so for three years. Overall, the only difference to his Easter was not leaving the house for Mass.

“For Easter this year, I made dinner for my family and brownies for desert,” Jones said. “My mother, she gave us Peeps, the candy, and that is all. Then we prayed as a family.” For Jones, this time is usually spent at her grandparents’ house with her aunts, uncles and cousins. They go Easter egg hunting, eat dinner and share time together. “Since Corona, it’s hard to spend time with your family during this time.

“It’s very boring staying in the house 24/7, and not to get to spend time with your family on this holiday, it was just kind of boring,” Jones said, her feelings shared by many students during this time.

Brooks said, “I hope everyone keeps on doing their part. It’s their civic responsibility to stay inside and be safe. It’s for the greater good.”