With campus shut down, eLearning begins

Principal encourages students to reach out for assistance

Fear of the coronavirus is sweeping across the world. In an effort to stop the spread of the virus, administrators are closing schools all across Indiana and much of the United States.

On March 12, school President Dr. Rob Bridges used the public address system to share the news that school and all school programs and extracurriculars would be closed until April 14. On March 15, Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel sent out the plan for the next few weeks off the Hill.

In her opening statement of her email, Bartel said, “As we head into weeks of eLearning, please know that Cathedral High School is committed to providing you with the best educational experience possible.”

Barthel outlined how eLearning will be carried out. Beginning March 16, teachers and students will be expected to be available online from 7:50 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. on days 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 and starting at 8:50 a.m. on days 2 and 5.

The methods the teachers will use to communicate to their students will be Schoology, Remind and email. Daily schedules and agendas will be posted by 7:40 a.m., and students will be expected to log on for specific instructions each day. Assignments may range from readings and worksheets to live sessions and video lessons.

To ensure that students will treat eLearning days like any other school day, students will need to log in to each class period daily and report for attendance between 7:50 and 3:10. Students will not need to report for their resource.

Any interference with participation such as a medical appointment must be reported in an email to the student’s teachers, and a parent must call the attendance line to report an absence at (317) 968-7496.

For any student who lacks internet access required to participate in the eLearning day, Comcast is offering two months free to new Internet Essentials customers However, families must meet income eligibility requirements. For more information, students are asked to visit https://www.internetessentials.com/covid19.

Barthel also reminds students that the librarians are available in the next few weeks, and that the library has free digital resources such as MLA citation help, research databases, Google search tips and website evaluation assistance.

Among all the new changes, mental health counselor Mrs. Sarah Ehlich provides tips to handle potential stress and anxiety. “Students should get outside and go for a walk, run, play, hike, whatever. Breathe in some fresh air and get some physical exercise to help clear the mind. We cannot control a lot of things that are going on right now, but we can take care of our bodies and our minds” said Ehlich.

The school counselors will be available officially from 7:50 to 3:10 and will continue to be available outside of those hours just as they are on school days.

Barthel asks students to “please trust that administration and educators are here to help you in any way possible,” and not to hesitate to reach out.