Penny Wars campaign will wrap up Feb. 27

Donations will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Photo submitted

Senior Maddie Wirth is spearheading the Penny Wars campaign.

Penny wars, which will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, will end on Feb. 27.

In email from chemistry teacher Mr. Howard Fogel, he explained, “Each class will have a jug designated for them. Adding silver coins will earn points for your grade, adding pennies will deduct points.”

Essentially, if you add quarters, dimes or nickels into your grade’s bucket, points will be added; however, if someone drops a penny into your grade’s bucket, points will be removed from your grade’s total.

Senior Maddie Wirth, who is heading the fundraiser, promoted the idea in the hopes of raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. As part of a fundraising challenge for Student of the Year through the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, Wirth began the Penny Wars.

“The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society student of the year campaign is a seven week stint to raise as much money as possible. The whole challenge is fundraising, and it’s who can raise the most money is named Student of the Year. One of my fundraising ideas was penny wars and we did it at (Saint Louis de Monfort), my middle school, for different charities growing up, so me and Fogel were like, ‘Let’s just do it for Cathedral, too,’” Wirth said.

Wirth added that she liked the Penny Wars concept because its competitive structure acts as an incentive for students to participate. As noted in the email from Fogel, “The winning class will earn a sweatpants day that will be announced at the end of this fundraiser.”

Make sure to bring all your silver change that you have laying around or even saved up and drop it into your grade’s bucket. If you’re feeling a little mischievous, drop a few pennies into the buckets of other grades, too.